1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZooMed Reptile heating cables? are they safe?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by SkyBaby, Nov 21, 2009.

1. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

I see these things at my lps all the time.  They say they can be used in high humidity tanks.  I'm thinking of putting it on the back side of the tank and putting a sheet of foil around that. The UTH the used 10 gallon I bought came with under the tank is really only keeping the EE warm directly over it and isn't helping the ambient temperature at all.  

I can't use lighting systems at all even though I know that's what most of you use and recommend.  I have to keep all my little fish tanks (5 gallons and smaller) and the hermit crab tank on this shelving system.  This shelving system only gives me about 3 inches of clearance.  

My crabs buried but I know they're active because I see disturbances almost every day.  I wonder if they're just cold and trying to stay warm?  I'm worried about them.  :( haven't seen them in a week or so now. :( I'm thinking of biting the bullet and buying a ceramic heat emitter and moving the tank to the top of the book shelf near it.  

2. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

What is the temp in your tank?  (The gauge should be 2" above the substrate so you know what your hermies are feeling)
    You can try moving the UTH from the bottom to the side of the tank with halv the heater below the sand and half showing above. (On the outside of the tank of course)
    But if you have a 10 gal tank and a 10 gal rated UTH your probably right you need more heat, especially if you are in an area that gets cold in winter.
    Maybe you can get another 10 gallon UTH and put 1 on the back and one on the side right next to each other on one corner of the tank, that is what I did. and it helped alot. Are you using a solid cover or screen? If it is screen getting a piece of plexiglass to lay on top will help hold the heat in your tank.
    And lastly you can always get a clamp lamp at the hardware store, clamp it to the book case and point it at the tank with a small watt heat bulb if you have a 10 gallon I dont recommend more than a 15 watt.

3. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Allot of us have issues with how to keep the tat warm enough.
    I have a small uth taped to the outside of the tank with foil on the backside so the heat doesn't escape out the back and it seems to keep it warmer.Also I have a 2nd level moss pit right above that and that is where all of them sleep all the time. I would think it would work nicely on a 10 gal tank. A small uth makes even my 60 gal a couple degrees warmer.

4. SkyBaby

SkyBaby (Micro Crab)

Cloie- The temp in my tank is about 71F.  It's probably 69 or so on the cooler side (the side without the uth).  The thing is, I'd love to try moving that UTH but the crabs dug down and I don't know if they're molting or not.  I don't want to disturb them.  They dug down on the cold side. 

I can't use any light in there during the night.  It's also my parrot room (I have 2 birds) and they need pure darkness to get good sleep.  A lamp and light bulb are out of the question. 

Thanks though!

Trixie- Can I get a UTH rated for like a 15-20 gallon for my 10 gallon and tape that one to the back and unplug and remove my UTH rated for a 10 gallon?  (My 'tat is a standard 10 gallon)  Buying one of those would be a heck of a lot cheaper than buying two 10 gallon UTHs.

Also, I'm trying to find a way to get more heat in there without disturbing my crabs.  They both dug down and I haven't seen them at all for a couple weeks.  I have EE not sand in there.  I pulled out the sand then within 24 hours of putting EE in both were gone.  I don't think they're molting because I see new surface disturbances every day.