1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZooMed Habba Hut?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by cloie74, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

So I bought one of these little half log huts at Petco because ALL of my crabs try to fit in ONE cocohut and it is terribly hilarious to see them all stack in there and lift the whole thing off the ground BUT I wanted them to have more room because they are changing out of painted shells into larger natural ones....
    Anyway I keep reading that Hermies should never be exposed to pine so I was TRYING to find out what kind of wood this is made out of but can't. It wasn't on the label, Petco didn't know and ZooMed has not answered my Email.
    Soes anyone know what kind of wood it is? Does anyone else use it?

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

I don't think it's pine. . .

3. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

It looks strikingly like pine/a pine relative to me. I had one that came with my adoptees, but after I put it in the main tank, everyone started burrowing (the adoptees hadn't seemed to mind it, but it was the only hidey they had), so I got rid of it. CrabbyJo at HCP had one, but took it out. She later burned it and said it smelled rather piney.

4. cloie74

Thanks Emma, I thought it looked like it too, guess I will have to find something bigger and suitable for these home wreckers lol
    It really is funny how they all pile in there like the clown car at the circus, so much so that the crabs on the bottom aren't even covered at all because the hut is lifted so much lol sometimes one hut will be overflowing and the other one totally empty!
    Any ideas for new hide away places?

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

My hermies love coconut huts, too! Maybe you should get a couple more of those, since crabs love them so much. Rock huts and half choya wood logs also work well! Hermies also like to hide in fake plants sometimes, or behind a climbing wall (in my case a tree fern slab) They could also hide in cork bark, if you lean peices next to eachother.

6. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

My hermies love to hide in this big plastic log that i found at walmart for aquariums so i boght it cleaned it and put it in the tank lol.
    and thats like where they all hang out.

7. Crabby_Crazy

Crabby_Crazy "First Molt, A Success"

The magical world of ponies! (ok, not really. my h
    I have 2 peices of cork bark they absoulutly love to be under, plus thier coco hut....the cork is a fav. thhough...

8. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Wait, can you guy see pictures or something? Is there just a problem with my computer? My crabs love to hide in log crevices etc. Those little terra cotta flower pots make nice hides on their sides.

9. cloie74

lol no coc there are no pics, I LOVE the idea of the terracotta pot and I just happen to have an extra one that would be PERFECT !
    Thanks guys!!!

10. cloie74

Just an FYI it is NOT Pine I just got a letter directly from Zoomed, here it is...

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us and for you interest in our products. The Habba hut is made of low elevation non aromatic cedar. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

[FONT=&quot]Ashley Rademacher[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Customer Service[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Zoo Med Labs, Inc.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3650 Sacramento Dr.[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]San Luis Obispo CA 93401[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Toll Free 888-496-6633[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Fax 805-542-9295[/FONT]

11. cloie74

Which makes me happy because my crabbies love that little log thing and were VERY happy when it magically appeared back in the tat lol

12. emmac350

Cedar is even worse for crabs than pine is. Cedar is used as insect repellents in dressers, wardrobes, etc. It will do the same thing to your crabs as cedars. Pine isn't the only unsafe wood - pine, cedar, cypress, and all the other woods in that family are unsafe. If you look at the unsafe wood list over at Epicurean Hermit, it says under the "unsafe woods list" - Evergreen of any kind (pine, cedar, redwood, etc.)

Edited to add: If your crabs seem to like the log, maybe you should find bigger safe hideys for them. They may be happy about the fact that there's something they can all share or climb on. Maybe if you replace the cedar (*shudder* I can't believe it's made of cedar! That makes me so mad!) with a large aquarium decoration they can hide in, they'd be even happier.

13. Sarbrand

Sarbrand Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks for the heads up on the hidey logs!! My crabs hardly ever use their little huts anymore. I'm not sure why. They like their moss pit & prefer to sleep in vines or their cholla wood log going up to the pit. Finicky little guys, they are!!! Lette

14. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

you should reply to them and say well, did you know Ceadar is worse than pine?? and seee what they say.. i dont trust and zoomed things after what ive heard

15. cloie74

UGH!!! Stupid Zoo Med!!!
    It is out again this weekend I am taking a trip to the super market to buy the biggest coconut I can find I'm just going to make them a bigger house myself at least I will know there is nothing in it that can harm these sensitive little guys!

16. emmac350

They are sensitive, but at least there are people like Vicki who have the safe/unsafe lists over at the Epicurean site. I'm really grateful that ZooMed responded - I've already posted on other forums links to this thread because we had some discussions about whether the logs were safe, and we're all really glad that they answered you!

17. HatterasCrabs

HatterasCrabs "Never Molted"

18. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

They have hermie obstacle climbing courses that you hang off the inside wall of your tank. . .

19. highflyer

highflyer Hi, I'm New Here!

I just got word they were made out of cedar yesterday and I'm certainly glad I never purchased one. I managed to dig up an old cocohut that I had at home and they really love that thing.

20. emmac350

Looking at the picture you linked to, it looks pretty similar to some of the pictures of the habba huts. I'd say for safety it probably is, but you could email the manufacturer to find out for sure like was done here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.