1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZooMed food?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by Becca, Mar 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Anyone familiar with ZooMed? I'm sick of FMR and decided not to wait until I ran out. It's the only hermit crab food the local (good) petstore sells. They sell T-Rex stuff, just not the food (grr).

Any neg/pos info on ZooMed would be appreciated.

2. zenoscribe

zenoscribe "Never Molted"

I threw out all that pre-packaged manufactured stuff. The crabs seem to eat such a nice variety of people food, why bother with the other junk?

If the crabs are into bugs, you can get worms, crickets, & grasshoppers cooked in the can - no preservatives there. I tried a can of crickets on my suggies - they loved it but I couldn't stomach the smell - now they get semi-live crickets, lol. Will give recipe if you're interested. You can also get all of the above buggies in freeze dried variety.

3. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I don't have time for doing much of the home made stuff. And I got yelled at for spending too much time on pureeing fruits and veggies for the hermies yesterday.

Back to the REAL question...the legitmacy of ZooMed as a brand. Anyone used it/ heard of it?

4. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

Nevermind, the store is also has T-Rex, which I know is a good brand.

5. jkohler1

jkohler1 Hi, I'm New Here!

keep in mind that just because the label doesn't list ethoxyquin as an ingredient doesn't mean there isn't ethoxyquin in it! There is currently no laws stating that pet foods have to have ingredients acurately listed. Aluminum hydroxide and copper sulfate should also be advoided in hermit crab food! Oh, yes zoomed food contains ethoxyquin and copper sulfate. Atleast some of their food does! If you can, buy your food from http://stores.ebay.com/Hermit-Crab-Addiction.

6. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

I've seen T-Rex on poison free foods list on several websites. Also, the particular petstore I go to is one of the rare "good" stores.

7. Crabby Baby

Crabby Baby Hi, I'm New Here!

I use T-rex fruit and flower. The smell reminds me of Fruity Pebbles! My "picky eaters" even like this kind.

8. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I loved having Fruit-n-Flower and FMR treat to offer, as I too had picky eaters who only seemed to eat this stuff. But Julia Crab warned me that neither of these foods are nutritionally complete, and the FMR may have pheremones in it which causes crabs to prefer it over foods that have the nutrition they actually need. So I have tossed both, and my picky eaters have adjusted. I offer organic dried fruits (canteloupe and papaya are favorites) as treats instead.

The staple foods I reccomend are the T-Rex regular food (not Fruit-n-Flower), Julia Crab's food (the BEST -- you can get it from http://epicureanhermit.com ) and perhaps Gardner's Hermit Crab food, though the container is not properly sealed. I buy all this stuff online, since nobody sells it locally. http://www.petdiscounters.com is a good source for the T-Rex and Gardner's. I offer these foods as a supplement to other foods, like fish, eggs, fruits, etc.

I belive the Zoo Med has ethoxyquin in it, but I don't have a label in front of me to check. I think it was the one that had it on the ingredients list for a while, then not. But the food hasn't appeared to change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.