1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zoo Med Blue Reptile Bulb

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by jsanqunetti, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jsanqunetti

jsanqunetti Hi, I'm New Here!

Greetings crabbers...

So I've been using a under tank heater, and the temp has been hovering at about 72. Today I decided to purchase a Zoo Med Blue reptile bulb. (40 watt) to use with my UTH to bring up the temp a bit.

I bought a bendable desk lamp to use the lightbulb with.

As soon as I put it in, my crabs started being more active! Before they would just hide out in there hut all day, but now they are climbing around and checking things out more.

Anyone else notice thier crabs being more active with overhead lights?

Since they are being active with the day light anyone use a red night light too?

I know they are considerd night time critters so I was surprised them coming out so much with the light :)

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

I use both. 75watt day and night heat bulbs. Alot of people have auto timers for the bulbs to switch from day to night and vica versa. But I dont. Its a great substitute for natural light.

3. jsanqunetti

Do you have an issue with keeping the humdity up? I did notice it did drop quicker. So I added a bigger salt water dish and added a little moss pit on top of their hidey cave.

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

No. With the tank I have My humidity is good.It will still heat up your tank if the lid is on.
    [hr]
    you might try taking your uth and tapeing it to the side ubove the substrate on the outside of the tank. UTH's on the bottom are basically no good for heating the air it just warms up the substrate.

5. jsanqunetti

I have a mesh lid, with part of it taped up to try and trap the humidity a bit better, but today with the light on top it seemed to escape.

Well now that I have the Zoo Med Bulb in a bendable desk lamp above, wouldnt it be good to leave the UTH on the bottom of the tank so the hermies have a warm spot to go to on the sand?

Unsure, I have heard a lot of UTH on the side and UTH on the bottom, so im totally lost on that one...

I did notice though under my hut, the sand does dry up quicker, probably becasue of the UTH...

If I already stuck it to the bottom it would probably be tough to reapply??

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

when hermit crabs molt they tend to want the substrate a little cooler then surface temp.
    You are right it is hard to take the uth off once it is stuck to the bottom of the tank. I wanted to take off mine to conserve electricity but it wouldnt.I ruined it. so I unpluged it and cut off the cord.

7. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I use the blue bulb for nightime too. It isn't as bright as the daytime one and is supposed to simulate "moonlight".
    The bulbs will be marked for daylight or night time.
    The blue is just my personal preference because I don't really like the red glow the red ones give off.
    I have an aquarium hood with two aquarium fluorescent bulbs that I use for the day and that seems to work well for me until the winter.
    Some of the members have an aquarium hood for reptiles that have the day and night bulbs in them and you switch on whichever one that you need.

Have you thought about getting a piece of plexi glass for the top of your tank as a lid? Some places like Lowes have it in different sizes and some places will cut it for you. Just be sure not to get a piece that is really flexable if you decide to go that route. Get a sturdier piece and that way if you set something on it it won't bow in the center.
    Happy Crabbin'!