1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zeus

Discussion in 'The Sand Castle Lounge' started by krackersmom2, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

Okay, my new large/jumbo Zeus is turning out to be quite a character!
    I got him out tonight and he ate some cooked hamburger meat while I had him on a dish towel. He's very social with people.
    Well, we decided to migrate several other crabs over to the 29 gallon.... Zeus has made it known that he "owns" and entire corner of the tank just under the corner shower caddy. He drug a shell over to "his" corner and I watched him change into it....now that was a sight:eek:...probably could warrant a thread of it's own! Anyway, the shell was obviously going to be too small. That crazy crab literally held onto the shell he had switched out of for dear life. Little Violet got too close and he made an aggressive move at her:eek:. Well, genius finally decided to change back into the shell he came out of ...again:eek:...I've never seen an abdomen that big....it was UGLY!
    I'm watching Zeus' behavior with the other crabs very closely...he's had the tank all to himself for several days and I'm sure he's not too pleased by the invasion.
    My crab Spoky must be confused and thinks he's a bat or something. He scaled the net up to a large plastic hook and hung there upsidedown for about an hour!
    Now we have the crabs divided nicely by size. In the 10 gallon we have the smalls (Baby, Flash, Rocky, and Herbie). In the 29 gallon we have Zeus, Spooky, Fester, and Violet The medium/large/jumbo group. 4/4
    I think the 29 gallon may be just perfect for now unless for some horrible reason I were to lose Zeus. He's so big and he's very clumsy. I wouldn't want to crowd him in. I might get a couple more smalls for the 10 gallon as I only have 4 and I did have 6 at one time in there. We'll have to see...
    I would be afraid to put any smalls in with Zeus until I see how the living arrangement works out.
    My neighbor across the street had a couple of empty tanks sitting out by their garage....to make a long story short, they both (a 10 and 20 gallon) have been offered up to me for free)... My mom found out that the neighbor lady works at Petsmart. She goes in mostly at night, so I'm not quite sure what she does there. Guess I need to have a conversation with her.
    The hubby says NO!! to the tanks. I was like well, I could just upgrade the 10 we already have to a 20 and sell off my 10....still didn't go for it....have to work on that;)

2. Savage Destiny

Savage Destiny Hi, I'm New Here!

As far as the tanks go... tell hubby that they're good to have around in case something happens to your current tanks (like a crack)! That way you won't have to BUY one to replace a potential broken tank.

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

You little sneak you! What a great idea!

Another little trick:

Wait til hubby goes away for a few days. Put the larger tank in, put a few new things in but rearrange everything from the old tank. Then tell him he's mistaken about the size, it's just that you redecorated the tank so that's must be why it looks bigger!

4. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Take them and put them in a corner in your basement or back of a closet. A extra tank is always good to have.

5. Savage Destiny

Savage Destiny Hi, I'm New Here!

We are bad influences! :eek:

But extra tanks ARE always good to have around!

6. Hildegarde

Especially if you just happen to be at the pet store and just happen to hear your name being called and it just happens to be from the area where the crab tank is....

7. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

If there is a will there is a way girlfriend--you can do it! :D

8. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

I just recently got into fresh water aquariums and I've been reading through fish forums.
    Funny thing is, the majority of the keepers are guys, trying to convince their wives to get a fish tank to house more fish. They even have "methods" of trying to sneak in a tank into the house and how to get away with it when their wife finds out.
    While on the other hand, the majority of hermit crab keepers are women, trying to get another/upgrade tanks and devising plans to sneak in another one.

Pets are fun.

9. ScottishStu

ScottishStu Hi, I'm New Here!

hmmm. im a 20 Male but ive got crabs(not the best chat up line) but then me and my sis always been into exotic pets. shes a supervisor at deep sea world and has a corn snake, wants to get a bearded dragon aswell. and as for the tank situation...i bully my flatmate so i can get as many as i want lol...no questions asked :)(only kidding i dont bully him)

But yeh id wait till he was out, setup the new tank, redecorate it and go for the " looks bigger cos ive changed the layout", us males are terrible when it comes to spatial awareness :D

10. Hildegarde

It's good to know my little ruse may work on some males!

11. krackersmom2

My hubby is one of those OCD detailed kind of people that would probably notice....:rolleyes:

12. alli'smommy

alli'smommy "Preparing For Third Molt"

Mine too! I could NEVER get away with tricking him--never can. He notices EVERYTHING.

13. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I know what y'all mean! I can never get away with anything... and believe me, I've tried!

14. krackersmom2

Wouldn't hurt to try...It's easier to ask for forginess than to ask for permission;).....use his own line on him:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.