1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YUCCA !!!!

Discussion in 'Nutrition & Water' started by timebandit, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

CAN THEY EAT THE YUCCA PLANT AND FLOWER???

2. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

Are you growing all these plants you're asking about? :chuckle:
    I've never even heard of a yucca plant

3. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yucca Pest Control { becareful if you can stick these in your tank, might end up with bugs and trouble from I'm reading??}
    Although spider mites pose no threat to your yucca plant--for some reason, spider mites find yucca unappealing--yucca plants are sometimes affected by scale and aphids. Scale appears as round, dark waxy-looking bumps on the leaves; treat it by applying horticultural oil or neem oil, which will smother the insects causing the infestation. A fungus that infects yucca plants can mimic scale. Differentiate between the two by gently scraping the bumps with a fingernail. If it scratches off and leaves a sticky substance behind, it's scale. If not, it is fungus--stop it from spreading up the plant by removing the affected leaf as well as the lower leaves. Identify aphids by looking for tiny, tear-drop shaped insects, and keep an eye out for the ants that congregate to eat the sticky honeydew produced by the aphids. Pull off any aphids you see and squash them; spray the yucca with a non-toxic insecticidal solution made by mixing 2 tsp. of castile soap to a gallon of water. Yellow sticky cards, sold at garden supply stores, can also be effective against aphids

Read more: Yucca Plant Care | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/135977-yucca-plant-care.html#ixzz1uLMMRWcV

4. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

Mu neighbor growes the yucca .And the neighbors bring me flowers for the hermits and allot of them I have no idea what they are.All they give me is the name.

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

The YUCCA is in the Evergreen family. When "Evergreen" is mentioned it is usually a no-no for hermies. But given that it is usually the pine cones that are toxic (contain traces of arsenic) I would tend to think that the Yucca flowers would be safe. BUT...I couldn't find anything to confirm that.

Have you been feeding them the flowers without any adverse effect? If so I would continue to do so with continued observation and let us know how they like them. :popcorn:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.