1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your thoughts needed

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by vckums, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vckums

vckums Moderator

A thread on another crab site got me to thinking. What do you consider requirements for crab care? I'll use the other thread as an example. The member was saying that deep pools are not required. That the use of commercial food is a preference.
    So I'd like to dig into your brains, and find out what you guys consider preferences and requirements.
    :thanks:

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

all we can do is offer what we know to be the best so that being said its up to the owner to make a descion regardless if we disagree--we can try to persuade if we know better but in the end we dont take care of that persons crab(s)--I found the thread you were referring too and instead of the word required you can always state something like this:

After much research and info gathered from long time crab keepers (or whatever you want to say here) it is in the crabs best interest to...........blah blah and by not doing such could perhaps lessen the life of a healthy crab or refer to whatever the topic is be it food or water.........

am I making sense?

PS I think pools are a necessity myself! :cowboy_wink:

3. queenofthecrabs

queenofthecrabs (Small Crab)

I agree with hermEz!! Well done and said nicely!!! I have tried to educate people in a nice way and they either look at you like you have insulted them ...or that you are a crazy crab lady!! WHich I know many of us have been called! I am, darn proud to have that title! :cheesygrin:

4. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

I too agree with Herm... All we can do is put forth the most up to date and accurate research info and pray that the crab mom/dad does what is right for their babies.

If only we could make people understand and do the right thing.... :tear:

5. veltish

veltish Guest

when i first started crabbing ( not too long ago).. i came into it all wrong..and i had no idea i was doing anything wrong. but as soon as i found out what i SHOULD have been doin and that it was much betetr for the crabs.. i did it. i dont think theres anyway in the world i could have kept on keeping the crabs the way i had them. what i dont understand is how a person can learn that something is better for the crabs.. but still not do it. there are still tons of things i need to improve on to make the crabs feel more at home.. and it eats away at me, becuase i know im not giving them the best they could have. im slowly getting there.. but the fact of not having things perfect is enoguh to make me chew my fingers off. im a little more obsessive then the average person.. but who on the addiction isnt.. :chuckle: it just blows my mind that even though the right information on care and all that is offered..some peopel just chose to not listen to it.

i kind of just lost myself in though.. so bare with me if i made no sense up there.. lol

6. kathleen

kathleen Guest

I agree with Herm-Ez. Put the good info out there in the least agressive manner possible. That way people dont feel like you are getting on their case if they do things differently. I personally like deep pools. I try to be pretty hands off, so that means I want them to bathe themselves. Gotta have the olympic sized pools for that. I spent too much time reading Kerie's site to stick with commercial food. She did a LOT of research, and really seems to know what she is taking about. We eat so much fresh produce for dinner, it would be a silly not to toss it in the tank too.

7. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Basically, all we do here is share information to help new crabbers. People can chose to take what we consider good advise, or ignore it. I wish I had listened to Kerrie & Vicki a little sooner. Then, perhaps, I wouldn't have lost four of my favorite crabs to bad molts brought on from the junk in commercial food. Funny how I haven't lost a single PP to a bad molt since that time, isn't it?

No, I imagine that deep pools aren't required. In fact, the only times I have seen my crabs actually submerge, is when they are newbies OR very sick & possibly dying. However, I have watched many a crab flush their shells of debris, just after molting. If the pools aren't deep enough, how are they suppose to do that? Would they suffer shell-rot? Sorry, I rather be safe than sorry....my deep pools ARE a requirement in my tanks!

The latest debate on another site is currently whether to deep clean or not. I know that digging crabs up during the deep clean process can be stressful, and may even cause a death. However, how long would it take to kill a tankful of crabs if the waist, dirt, debris, and bacteria was allowed to run ramped? We don't live on a beach, where nature is constantly cleansing itself. All that crud is trapped inside of the tank, and the only way to remove it AND the germs is a good old fashioned deep clean. Again, only my oppinion.

In the end, we throw the advise out there. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to follow it. I have trusted, and will CONTINUE to trust the advise from other long time crabbers and friends, and I don't think you have steered me wrong. (HermChickie, Vicki, Starmaiden, & Chrispy, just to name a few!) I may not agree with EVERY bit of advise given, but I have been doing this long enough to make decent decisions and weigh what to do. We DO have differences in opinions, and don't ALWAYS agree, but we are adult enough to make our own final decisions.

I also try to offer advice & help to newbies, because I remember well, how helpless & stupid I felt way back when. I may not always give the "correct" answers, but I try my best to educate, with my own opinions & experiences.

~~~~~~Climbs down off of my soapbox & cracks open a beer. :eek:ccasion14:

8. starmaiden

starmaiden "Preparing For Fourth Molt"

Another problem in this area is that new info is constantly being put forth. When I first started crabbing, I read that a stresscoat bath once a week was a must, as well as ISOing molters. Then I read from other crabbers that bathing just stresses them out and that ISOing isn't necessary.

Actually, there was so much conflicting info out there on the correct way to take care of these guys, that I had to spend a lot of time researching and making decisions of how I would do it. It was extremely frustrating and I'm sure someone with less time and dedication as me would just shut down.

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

To Quote Kathy cause I dont know where the heck the quotes are on this forum
    "We don't live on a beach, where nature is constantly cleansing itself. " Girl I have stayed out of that thread on PURPOSE--I totally agree- nature washes itself with rain and sun and wind and none of that is in our tanks--I will always do deep cleans and that is that. I can smell when my tanks need a deep clean - not to mention that there is enough bacterial infections popping up and that is proof enough to me that we should do that--whew so glad you said that I felt all alone out there :vinkko:

10. Nature also has a place to DRAIN all this stuff away. In our tanks, once it hits the glass, it's trapped.

There's got to be an easier way to clean without stressing too badly...but even in fish tanks you gotta clean the substrate or else the fishies die...I wonder if there was a way to keep an aquarium filtration system going under the substrate that would WICK away the bad bacteria...but I haven't figured that out yet...or even determined if it's possible.

Still investigating.

Anyone interested in trying to devise this, let me know! LOL

11. starmaiden

I took the thread to be more about trying to create a closed, cycled environment, like a fish tank, than about not deep cleaning. :think:

12. jedediah

jedediah Guest

Bugs are a great way to clean the tank. I haven't deep cleaned my crabitat in two years. Crab poop, leftover food and even moss and leave piles just vanish, being turned into soil by springtails, booklice and other microorganisms I brought in with leaves and a few handfulls of forest soil. Many herpers use this method in enclosures with high humidity. I know a poison arrow frog keeper who has several enclosures (some of them huge, some small) that haven't been cleaned except for the glass and water changes for 10-15 years.

13. vckums

vckums Moderator

I know Julia Crab was working on something to prolong deep cleans. I want to say there was a thread here, if not CSJ for sure. I'll dig around

14. starmaiden

My brother never deep cleans his tarantula enclosures either. In the 2 years he had them at my house, I never once saw him do a deep clean. He removes poop from the surface, wipes the glass, and cleans their water dishes out, but doesn't replace the substrate.

15. Crabby1

Crabby1 "Third Molt, A Success"

I think that people will think what they want/do what they want.....all we can do is give the best information/facts we have and hope people do/listen to them.

I have "pools", one salt, one reg, not super DEEP, but my crabs can get totally under water in them.
    From personal experience, and info gathered, I will not use comercial food again....my crabbies loooooove Kerie's food!...and I give fresh food as well.
    as for cleaning, I deep clean....change all the sand, twice a yr. I do "clean up" the tank every other month or so...scoop the poop I see, move stuff, turn the sand.

16. Sialea

Sialea Guest

Gosh I've missed everyone! I agree with Crabby1..you can only put the information out there and hope people will follow the advice but you can't make them. I just did a deep clean after 6 months in my 80 gallon. I added a salt waterfall and a fresh water bubble pool.. Didnt think it a absolute necessity but they love it! I also haven't used commercial food since researching on Keri's website. I only lost 2 crabs to bad molts since then and I've had most of them for well over a year now. I like to think things have gone so well with my crabs because of all the information I got from other crabbers like you guys. Thank you :giverose: :blowheart:..
    p.s. the bug thing... :icon_puke_r:

17. starmaiden

Jedediah, how big is your crabs' tank and how many crabs do you have in it? Also, how do you know if the bugs you bring in are the good kind or the bad kind? I would really like to do something like this in my tanks, but am concerned about bringing bad bugs in with the good. I still haven't been able to identify the little white things I occasionally see crawling on my glass as booklice or not! :think:

18. jedediah

jedediah Guest

I have a 80 gallon with 13 crabs, six big ones (at least ping pong ball-sized) and seven smaller ones.
    I actually don't worry much about bringing in bad bugs because mites that are harmful for the crabs are usually not brought in with moss or leaves, in 99% of all cases they come from newly bought crabs, they change directly from host to host. If you want to be sure, you can get springtails online (poison arrow frog owners buy them as prey), although I'm not sure where to get them in the US.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.