1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yikes MOLD!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Gaby, Apr 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

I wanted to start a new thread for this because it is kind of a new problem/subject... I hope that is okay...

OH NO! I may have found at least part of the problem!!! There is yellow mold, that looks almost exactly the same color as the wood on my wood jungle gym in the tank. I have looked at everything every day to make sure nothing is molding, but it is moling on the underneath parts and it wasn't until I was picking up toys at the base of the crab tank stand and I happened to look up that I saw it. At first I thought the crabs had torn up the wood, but then I looked again and it is MOLD!!!

It's a no brainer that the jungle gym comes out but then what? I have molters down, a jumbo pp and a med straw at the very least!!! It was on the sand side of the tank, but now I am worried about my FB side too since it always seems more humid! The jumbo pp is on the sand side of the tank, we looked for him from the underneath side of the tank about a month ago. Please, any advice would be great. I don't want to freak about this and do something I will regret!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

2. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I'd scoop out the sand in the area where you found the mold, maybe add some saltwater to the sand remaining in the area to inhibit future growth, and just keep an eye on it. I had some blue-green mold on my corkbark months ago, and this is all I did and it never recurred.

3. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

Thanks, I think I will try that. I haven't had a mold problem since we very first got our crabs almost a year ago. I didn't want to freak out, but I am worried about any molters that are under also. I am really thinking a digital temp and humidity gauge is necessary at this point. I just can't trust the ones I have.

4. Gaby

Gaby Hi, I'm New Here!

Well, I am glad I did my best to keep my cool after finding the mold. I took the jungle gym out last night and put it out where it would get some sun today. I figured it might help to dry it out good, then clean it as good as I can, then bake it and see how it looks, but it might be a lost cause.

I got up early this morning about 2 am (my youngest son had gotten up) and there was definately something going on in the crabitat. I turned on the living room lights and looked around. I couldn't see anything, but I could hear the scratching and chirping. I figured I should wait till I got up again and see what was happening then rather than digging everyone up at 2am.

When I got up this morning for the second time, I got a big suprise! Fredrico (jumbo PP) was in a "crater" that he must have created. His shell was still a bit under the sand, but I could see his legs and everything. He wasn't in the same spot he was before, so he must have dug around last night. I dusted the sand away from his shell and picked him up to see if he had molted. Nope. I figured it hadn't been long enough. Anyway, I am glad I picked him up, because I could see the tip of Zin's (med straw) shell after I did. Fredrico had made his way to Zin's little "cave". Zin had molted, and he has finished about half of his exo. Well I think he was the one that ate it anyway. I am pretty sure since Zin had his back/shell to Fredrico and his exo was in front of him. I put Zin and his exo in a kk in the main tank. Those were the two crabs I hadn't seen in weeks, the other crabs who were down I had seen within the last 7 days, so I felt safe in taking the tank apart and making sure there weren't any other problems I was missing. The sand was REALLY wet, but with a med, lg, and jumbo crab down in it, I can see why. I stirred it up really good and found a few pieces of exo from one of my small purple pinchers that evidentally pulled a suprise molt on me. But other than that the sand was suprisingly clean, they must be using the EE side to do their "business" in.

I cleaned everything and baked what I needed to, and I took this opportunity to separate my little guys from the bigger ones. It just seemed like the thing to do at this time. I have nine small crabs in the 20 long now, and 6 med, lg, and one jumbo in the 46 gal.

I am amazed how the opportunity to find out what is happening with all the crabs, and to clean out the tank presented itself at a time like this when I REALLY needed it to. Anyway, everyone is doing well, I hope Zin will be okay moved to the KK, but I think he needed the protection. Now we get to see what the crabs do next, lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.