1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yes another humidity problem

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by ifer80, Sep 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ifer80

ifer80 Hi, I'm New Here!

After reading many of the forums I have quickly realized my husband and I may have gotten into something that is much bigger then we were told. First off almost everything we were told seems to only be 10% of the truth. The rest of it was the complete opposite of what you are all saying. Aaahh!
    We have a tank (can't remember the size off the top of my head) with three smaller hermits. It however is starting to sound like a P.O.S. And here is where my problem is. It has a well ventilated top on it which is great for a breathing animal but it lets out all the humidity and heat we try keeping in the tank! *sighs* To be completely honest I'm very upset right now. I am an animal lover and I want to do right by these three adorable hermits but I feel very taken for my money by the people we bought them from. Clearly they don't care about what happens to these crabs once they've been paid for.
    So... after spending all the money I did is there a way to save my lil hermits? They've only been sluggish for one day so it hasn't been too long but I don't want to push it to far.:(

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

you can use Suran Wrap to cover half the lid for humitity.

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Any kind of plastic wrap will work.

Most pet places that sell hermies think of them as throw away pets. You came to the right place to make sure yours will get everything they need.

4. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

I use two bamboo dinner mats. They seem to hold humidity in pretty well.

5. ifer80

ifer80 Hi, I'm New Here!

Thank you everyone for your responses however I have some sad news. One of our three hermies didn't wake up this morning. However, today we are moving in the right directions after all the wonderful advice I got from the forums late last night. We have upgraded to a used (but who notices) 10 gallons tank, we have added a 2nd dish so now they have the fresh AND salt water and we have added the eco earth to half the tank to help with the humidity. So far our hermies are liking the new tank and I plan to get to the store tonight to find some supplies to make some levels they can climb up to. I tried earlier but after three pet stores and 4 cranky kids in the hot weather... I was ready to go home, lol. Thanks again everybody! Any more suggestions for a newbie will be much appreciated!

6. WizKidsMom

Keep in mind that hermies are nocturnal. They can be most active during the night. Do not assume that because he isn't up that he is dead. He could be just de-stressing. Does he smell?

The second levels can be corner shower caddys... you can find those at places like WalMart in the bath section. Suction cup soap dishes, etc.... with NO metal !

7. ifer80

ifer80 Hi, I'm New Here!

I have a 9 month old son so I'm usually up pretty late allowing me to get to see some of their night time active moments. And he was definitely dead... he smelled fishy and he didn't move at all when I turned him over. As for my levels I went to Walmart last night and got a shower caddy (2 shelves) and put one to each opposite corner of their tank. I have their Climbing log up to one level and then something for them to climb across to the other level. I also got some plants but my husband says we don't have any room for it. Do the hermits enjoy the plants? Or could they honestly live with out them? And I was wondering if I should put some of my eco earth on my shelves so its not just bare plastic?

8. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

yes hermies enjoy plants, they love to climb on them and hide in them
    as for your shelves you can get Forest moss at the pet store for in the shower caddys.

9. WizKidsMom

I change the covering on my levels. Sometimes it is moss (always check for pine needles), sometimes it is ecco earth, and sometimes it is coral sand (it is pieces of coral and shells that the hermies eat for calcium). I put in just enough to cover the bottom.
    I also cut a piece of window screen at the bottom because of the slots in the caddies. My hermies love to dig to the bottom and move the screen - but then my hermies like to trash their tank. :)

10. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

That's too bad. It probably wasn't anything you did, it was probably the pet store's fault for keeping them in horrible conditions

11. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

What kind of dechlorinator and salt water mix are you using? Also, what are you feeding your little guys? Those are two often overlooked areas in crab keeping that can make a huge difference in the longevity of crabs.

As for your changes already, I'm sure your two remaining crabs are very excited about them. Crabs do like to have places to hide and climb, and mine loved the plants I had in my old setup. If you're using silk plants from WalMart or a craft store, be careful to ensure that none of the metal in the stem is ever exposed in the tank - it could poison your little guys. :)

12. ifer80

ifer80 Hi, I'm New Here!

Well its been a couple days of doing the same thing and going with the suggestion from all of you. However I still can't seem to get my humidity up past 55%. My temp has been maintained since we got the new tank but I dont know how to fix my humidity. Any suggestions? Other then that I think things are going good. We have one that seemed sick a couple days ago she is moving around like crazy (she was the first one to go up on a higher level last night, yay). And our other one decided he was going to hide down in the eco earth two nights ago and hasn't come out yet. I am trying my best not to be nosey and let him do his thing. I read somewhere in a forum that you need to fight back your urges to pester them. So my questions... Any other suggestions on how to raise my humidty? And I live in a smaller city in wisconsin and can't find much for shells. What my husband found.. the opening to the shell in my opinion doesn't look big enough for them. Any ideas where to look for shells?

13. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Plastic sheet, mesh lid, and some monitoring is what I suggest. Along with moist substrate, I found that, just peeling back the sheet when I think it is necessary, I can control the humidity anywhere from 50s to 90s. Granted I keep it 70+, but having that range of control for so little work... :)

14. emmac350

emmac350 "Fourth Molt In Progress"

Some use Plexi-glass from Lowe's to cover the top of the tank. You can use cardboard wrapped in plastic wrap too - that helps keep in warmth as well as the humidity.

Make sure you keep your EE nice and damp - it will dry out if left on its own, so either spray or at least slowly pour water on it (I actually find that pouring water out of the bottom of my spray bottle works better at keeping the humidity stable than spraying to wet the coconut fiber; the fiber stays a better wetness level that way too). EE is usually good about keeping up your humidity.

Have you calibrated your humidity gauge? If not, it could be reading incorrectly and your humidity could be right. Does the tank feel humid to your hand?

As for shells, there are TONS of them on ebay. When I was first getting started with crabbing, I bought a lot of 75+ shells for $8. Not all of them are good for my crabs (the pink delphinula shells for instance) but I've only gotten shells one time after that, and that was when I got 2 new crabs bigger than mine that I didn't have enough shells for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.