1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yeah! made it through 1st molt

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by ThreeDaisy, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

We made it through our first molt. [​IMG] I had two down for 3-4 weeks. They are both up now. I know for sure Shellie molted because she is very pale & her legs are sharp and pointy. But Hermie has been down for the same amount of time and doesn't appear to have molted but was eating part of the eksoskeleton(sp). Then after she wandered off Shellie went to eating. I think Hermie was stealing a snack of Shellie's eksoskeleton. Is that normal? Has anyone had that happen before? But we are very excited we made it through a molt. Almost feel like my cat had kittens. LOL So Shellie has molted when will she get into a new shell? Kids want to know.
    ThreeDaisy

2. CJ

CJ "First Molt In Progress"

[​IMG] Congrats of your 1st molt!!!
    Yeah, Shellie! Bob just finished his 3rd
    molt and has always changed shells within a
    few days of coming back up. This time, he
    hasn't and is also in a shell that is too small.
    He has several other choices, but doesn't seem
    to want to change. Silly hermie!
    Good luck!

3. gweebles

gweebles "Preparing For First Molt"

Congrats on your molt. It can be worrysome and frustrating the first time around. Yes, it is normal for them to munch each other's left over exo. Ladybug molted above ground this evening when I was at work and when I got home, I had to remove Pinkie from her exo, he was trying to steal it from her. Don't worry, you'll become an old pro in no time.

4. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Thanks everyone,
    Shellie still hasn't found a shell to his liking. He has a choice of 5 shells. It has been several days. He's taking his time I suppose. I won't worry about Hermie stealing a snack then.
    thanks again
    Threedaisy [​IMG]

5. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Hey Everyone,
    Shellie still hasn't found a shell. But Hermie came up and molted on top the sand. Rested a day, ate his Ekso, got a drink, then moved into a new shell. She knew what she wanted. I wonder if Shellie will choose a new shell. Yes! We made it through two molts. [​IMG]

6. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

Shellie's not naked is she? Being naked is not so good -- not changing shells before or after a molt is well within the range of normal. [​IMG]

I remember my first molt -- I just couldn't believe that the crab was going to reappear after five weeks under the sand! My husband was even more certain that the crab was dead, and was trying to manage my expectations accordingly. [​IMG] So when my first molter re-appeared with those shiny new toenails, I was as proud and excited as if I'd dome something myself!

7. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

CONGRATS! [​IMG]

8. pineapplemama

pineapplemama (Small Crab)

Congrats! A couple of my new friends have buried themselves, but I think they are just destressing. Which guy (or gal) was it that molted?

T.T.F.N.

9. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Shellie was the one who molted and now Hermie has too. They both look great other than they don't seem to want to go into another shell. They are still walking around in their old shells. Is this normal? Hermie has jumped into two of the 5-6 I have in there but within an hour or two is back in the old one. But they are not naked. They looke great. Molting was good. Shoud I get some more shells?

10. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

I wouldn't worry about them not changing shells after a molt, as long as they do have lots of options. Some crabs are just not as interested in shells, it seems. Others hold out for a particular type of shell that's more comfortable, so if you have ones like they're currently wearing that are just a tad larger, they many like those. Or not. [​IMG] There are some tendencies by species (Ecuadorians usually don't change shells much, and purple pinchers may change shells a lot) and in general larger crabs will shell-shop less often. That they are individuals is one of the wonderful things about hermit crabs, but at times it can be frustrating!

11. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

Daisy, congrats on your molts. Some crabs are very picky about their shells & never want to switch. I have one that is so big for his shell that he can't even retract into it- even his eyes are exposed when he retracts! And I have a least 40 shells in my tank for him! I do find that washing the shells out from time to time, and maybe adding a few new ones, or rotating the ones that you have will spark a renewed interest in shell shopping for all of my crabs. Also, if you have mostly painted shells try getting a few natural shells they like them much better.. even a pack of shells you can get a t a craft section of a store will often have a few suitable turbos in it.

12. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

Thanks for the advice.
    I have quite a few options in there but maybe I need to get some that look more similar to the one they are already in. They both keep trying on this one I have in there. I will get a few more for options. They will have to change shells eventually right? I'm not sure what kind of crabs we have. One of them his big pincher is purple. The other is more a light brown to a pinkish color. They both aren't any bigger than the size of a quarter. So they are small. I will go look in a craft store today for a larger variety. Thanks again

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.