1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yay! new crabbie

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by ColleenMarie, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Hi, I'm New Here!

just got him/her today! went to go get hermie food and stuff and saw this cutie http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh19/ColleenMarie_17/noname.jpg

dont have a name yet and it is a little to shy to come out so i can see if its a girl or boy. how long should i keep it in ISO? btw have you seen the crabitats at pet stores?:mad: that made me a little mad, and the guy was trying to tell me how to keep my tank! i dont think so

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

thats a biggie crab :D--ISO depends on alot- how long he was in his last condition- does he have bugs etc etc=I just adopted 2 and kept them in ISO for a month they had no bugs but were severly malnoursihed.

3. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

i have never put a crab in iso. i just give all my crabs a saltwater bath so that they all smell the same and they will get along, i think its important to acclimate them to each other and if they are stressed they will just hide.

4. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

Cute crab!

Yea, those stores really bug me too. The living conditions for the crabs are horrible.

When I brought home Ace and NN, I took Howard out for a little while [just about a half hour in his usual spot when I clean the tank] and let the newbies run around on their own, surprisingly they weren't stressed for long and got along with Howard in days. But this probably won't work for you, seeing as you have more than 1 crab to start with. ;]

I'd take the other's advice, they know waaay more than I do. :]

5. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I'm also not as experienced as the others, but I put my new crabs in ISO for a few days just to make sure they are in good health and bug free. I give them a salt water bath ASAP to check for mites. I slowly introduce them over a few days. I put them in the tank for a little while and observe thier behavior with the existing crabs.
    Your new guy looks like my large- Hercules....same shell and same dark color.

6. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

I also do what krackersmom2 does. Which is very hard, because my husband wants to put each new crab right into the tank and play with it!

If the pet store conditions were very poor, you'd want to ISO the crab in order to slowly change the environment (temp & humidity). But I would say no more than a week, as long as your new little one is acting normally (whatever normal is for a crab!).

If conditions in the pet store were pretty okay, a few days should do it, unless your new one decides to dig down to distress.

There are no real rules. You have to decide what you think is right for your new addiction...err I mean addition!

7. Spiffy-Kat

Spiffy-Kat "Never Molted"

Addiction is right!
    After my first, I needed 2 more. xD

Anyways, my "method" is probably all wrong, I'll be sure to take a few notes for next time.

8. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I ISO mine for a good month.

I've posted this somewhere before ... comes off another site, but I think it stresses the importance of ISO-ing a new crab:

I've noticed in reading posts from new and old members alike that not everyone understands the importance of ISO. I can appreciate that it requires a second tank and not everyone has one but I'd like to point out why it's so important to address it.

New crabs get harvested off their native beaches and swept quickly into captivity, being handled for the first time, being sorted, packed and shipped to stores and placed into inferior conditions lacking proper humidity, food and water. They're fed commercial foods they don't recognize and some of which they're unable to crush to eat and are given shallow dishes of water insufficient for replenishing shell water or sometimes dishes much larger than themselves and no way to get up and in. When conditions aren't favorable they release a hormone to inhibit molt until they are but this delay takes vital energy from them. Their store homes offer little to hide in or under and heightens their stress. All this said, I'm quite surprised that more of them don't pinch.

ISOing your new crab gives them their first vital moment of well deserved and necessary down time, a space of their own where they can slowly adjust to people, their climate and their captivity. If you've ever provided a hut to a new crab I'm sure you've noticed he's made good use of it as opposed to older more relaxed crabs who no longer require the security. This is because the new crab is still under the impression that shadows mean seagull snack or other harm. It's why they pop in their shells at the first sign of movement.

Slow changes to the climate are important. Imagine how you'd feel if you went from the 70 degree temps of New England to the extreme temp and humidity of a Southern state all at once. Would you be out at full gallop or would you do better to take it gradual? What about if you hadn't been eating well or staying hydrated and then experienced such a climate change? That first month with you lays the foundation for future health and longevity and gives you a chance to get them off the road their on and onto a better one. Purchase alone will not do this. Start at whatever humidity the store maintained or at 50-60% if they didn't address it and slowly raise it 5% each week.

Nutrition also plays a key role to recovery so avoid nutritionally void foods and try to offer seafood related proteins like krill, sundried baby shrimp, spirulina, silversides and proteins, fruits and veggies from the Epicurean Hermit as well as dechlorinated fresh and salt water without sponges. Raw or organic honey offered in a bottle cap can also provide vital nutrients and is willingly accepted by newbie crabs.

Taking these steps not only benefits the newly purchased but ensures that you don't risk your main tank and it's residents to unknown bugs or illness, injury from an aggressive stressed out or nutritionally deficient crab in need of protein or chitin, a shell or a quiet corner. Non-newbie crabs like to get to know their new tank mates and stressed crabs may not be in the mood or the health to tolerate it.

If you don't have proper ISO for newbies, please consider waiting until you do.

9. crazy4crabs

crazy4crabs "Second Molt In Progress"

hermies are addicting... after the first one i couldnt stop.. now i have 16 i think.. lol

10. ColleenMarie

ColleenMarie Hi, I'm New Here!

wow thanks for taking time out to share all your thoughts! diamond...that message was very sad. it makes me appreciate my hermies more, because what they have to go through to end up in a tank!

but about the iso i think it is important but they also get stressed out if they are by themselves for long periods of time...so i have some thinking to do lol

11. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

Yeah, but it's better off to have them by themselves for a little while and allow them to destress than to throw them in with a bunch of unfamiliar crabs and an unfamiliar environment. They may appreciate some time by themselves, just to be able to dig down and have no worries. ;)

12. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Because of what they go through, they need the time by themselves. 4 weeks is no big deal, in terms of being alone, but you are giving them the start they need, to get strong, get the nutrition they need, be acclimatized back to "normal" temps and humidity, and be able to face the other crabs in the main tank. Chuck is absolutely right ... they need it. You will notice that most crabs will bury when you first get them. Why? Because they need the time to destress.

All my crabs have survived, I haven't lost a single one (since the first 6 I lost when I first started crabbing!!) and I believe in the information I was given here when I first started out. I must be doing something right! :) And, I haven't found that any of the crabs I have added to the main tank after ISO have suffered any kind of stress. They seem to jump right in and enjoy the size of their new home and their new buddies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.