1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yay! He's alive!

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by dgh_1984, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

Ok, a while back I posted that one of my crabs had gone missing and I speculated that, maybe, my nephew stole him since I couldn't find him anywhere or even see any signs of him molting. Also, in another post, I mentioned my crabs were dying. They all died!:( Except for him. I couldn't believe it when yesterday afternoon, I happened to look in there and heared something hit the glass and there he was.:D I couldn't be happier. Just when I was going to give up on ever having crabs again he resurfaces. I had to quickly remove him and clean out the tank and put what little sand I had back in and the essentials since I had to leave to go to work. I washed what I put back in really good with dechlorinated water. He is so pretty and very active. He also got into a nice shell that I put in there. Yay! But, I am skeptical to let my hopes up again since my poor first attempt. I made some changes this time. I left a lot out of the tank so there is more roaming room. I also left out the moss and I haven't put in any hermit soil and I have to add more sand, there is only about and inch and a half since it was all I had left.
    - I think mites killed my other crabs. When I was looking at one of them, there was a tiny white thing crawling on it. Why didn't they kill this one and how do I avoid them and how do I get rid of them? Thanks! Sorry for the long post. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

So where was he? Was he loose in the house or just well buried? I would make sure you sanitize the whole tank, the climby things etc. Give him a salt bath just to make sure he doesn't get mites. The mites probably didn't burrow down to where he was at, but I'd play it safe. You could inspect him under a light.

3. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

I guess he was very well burried. Once I get some more sand I am going to boil everything. I did give him a bath last night, but not with salt water. He is so active. He is more active then the others that died. One minute he is knocking over the palm tree and the next he is crawling on his wood. I couldn't find him the other night and was thinking, "Darn, he is burried again.", but he was sitting on top of his one and I was just overlooking him.

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Sounds like good news!!!

5. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

Glad he reappeared!!

6. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

I can't believe how active he is. I have a piece of cholla wood about 6 inches long that is stuck upright in the sand and he likes to sit on top of it in the hollow part. I removed him, because I thought he might be stuck and by the time I got back into the room(no more than 3 minutes) he was back on top of it.:D I like that I can see him better now with out the embelishments that I had in the first setup, so I am going to keep the decorations to a minimum.

7. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I alays worry about my crabs trying to cram themselves into the end of the cholla log and get stuck:rolleyes:....we know how good their perception is....

8. sami

sami "Never Molted"

one of the hermits i have, i found in a log. I had to very carefully wriggle the little guy out making sure not to scare him out of the shell or hurt him...lol and for this reason i named him Woody. Also happy to hear that your hermit survived:D Are you going to get him a buddy?

9. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

I want to, but after my disastorous first attempt, I am very leery of getting more, but I feel bad about him being all alone. When I thought all of them were dead, I don't think I would have got any more, but now I probably will.

10. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

Do we see a possible candidate for hermit crab addiction? I hope not, because we're only on our 7th step, so we're not admitting any new members currently!:D

11. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

haha I'm addicted but I know the limits of my tanks so I never overcrowd them

12. dgh_1984

dgh_1984 (Micro Crab)

Just think, I use to not be able to even look at the little guys, but now I have to check on Lucky all the time. I looked in on him earlier and I couldn't find him and I was thinking, " You little rat. You burried yourself again.", but he was under a half peice of cholla wood that he dug under. I have several hiding places for him, but he seems to like to make his own. I definately have to get more crabs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.