1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wtf Help!

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by hello_hammerheads, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hello_hammerheads

hello_hammerheads "First Molt, A Success"

i have never had any complications in teh past with my hermit crabs
    i haev not witnessed agression recently and the conditions are fine.
    i came home tonight at about 10 30 and noticed that oblina [my only female hermit crab who i have had fro a few months, she was my 3rd crab.] 's bp had fallen off! i didn't smel death adn she is still alive, it wasn't her exo because i looked at her and her claw was missing.
    i didn't know if i should taek it out so i left her ontop of it like she was.

please please please help me

i dont' want to lose her.

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">
    How long have you had the crab(s) in question?
    about 5 months

Do you know what species they are?
    pp's

Did you/Do you isolate new crabs?
    only when there is agression, btu that hasn't been in months

Tank Size:
    20 gal. i want a bigger one

Lid Type:
    mesh with plastic wrap over it with a space fro circulation

Placement of tank in your home:
    my desk in my room away from teh window

Substrate Used (moist or dry & depth):
    EE, moist, enough to cover my biggest crab by an inch

Type of Gauges: Strip/Analog/Digital
    analogue

Did you test your humidity gauge for accuracy?
    yes

Placement of Gauges:
    substrate level

Temperature and Humidity levels in your tank: Degrees %
    humidity-80
    temp-73-80

Heating Source (if UTH how much of the tank does it cover and how much substrate is over it):
    uth on the side cause i can't lift the take, i will put it under soon adn a light lamp.

Lighting Source (type bulbs & wattage):
    erm.... not too sure, it is a low wattage though, it is a sunlight lamp, i think its day-glo

Do you have at least one area for each crab to hide?
    multiple

Is there any metal in your tank?
    the lid, but they don't go up there.

What types of climbing things/toys do you have in your tank?
    chola wood, fake plants, varieties of shells

What type of water do you use (dechlorinated tap/spring water)?
    spring water

If you use dechlorinating drops-which kind?

Do your provide fresh and salt water? If yes, what type of salt mix do you use?
    yes
    instant ocean

Do you provide dishes for water or just sponges?
    both

How many extra shells do you have for each crab?
    2 or 3 for each crab

Did you boil the shells prior to putting them in the tank?
    yes

Do you bathe your crabs? If yes, how often and what do you use to bathe them in?
    no, only when i first get them, havent in a month or so. u usually use room temperature bottled water and sometimes stress coat

Do you only handle your crabs with clean hands?
    yes

How often do you handle them?
    not often

Have they been exposed to toxins such as chemical/cleaning fumes, perfume, spray deodorant, etc?
    insence

Do you allow your crabs to exercise outside the tank?
    yes

What types of foods do you feed?
    natural foods, vegies fruits nuts.
    i recently put some organic corn bread in there, could that be the problem?

What do you use as a calcium supplement?
    sandollar
    </span:mad:

2. justine

justine "Never Molted"

I am not sure, but I don't think you should burn your insence near your crabs.

3. hello_hammerheads

it is on teh other side of teh room adn i don't burn it for long adn it has only been twice. i always have a window open when i do that too. my room doesn't get smokey.

4. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

Sometimes crabs get stressed and we don't know why. The important thing is to take care of the crab. I would place her in iso and treat her like a new crab, that is, provide a hut, food, waters, and peace and quiet. Keep the temperature and the humity in the high 70's. Could this be the result of a shell fight? If so, provide more shells in the main tank of the type she is wearing. Your tank seems to be well set up. I really don't know about the incense. Sometimes when a window is open the wind changes direction and the crabby could be getting a whiff of incense, but I really don't think this is the reason for the claw drop. Just take special care of her and everything should be fine. Good luck.:(

5. hello_hammerheads

or no one can help.......

anybody?

6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Nancy gave you some good advice. No one really knows why things happen sometimes and to ISO her and keep her comfortable is a good idea.

7. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

HUH? Nevermind

8. hello_hammerheads

i know and i appreciate her help i am just upset adn i want more opinions because i am doing all i can. i put her in iso with everything like it should be and sh ehasn't moved. she is still alive because when i turn on a light near her she flinches inside her shell.

i also noticed today i saw 2 fruitflies in the tank i out her in. i just got new playsand and i am wondering if the flies could have been in there. i don't see any mites.

also what should i do with her bp that fell off?

9. nancy

Crabbybeach, we all know you're upset. Any one of us would be upset if it had happened to them. We can only do the best we can. She's stressed. Let her be. Tend to her basic needs but leave it at that. Give her some honey with crushed sand dollar and spirulina to munch on should she get hungry. She's acting as if she's very stressed. Throw the discarded claw away. Just be patient and she will let you know if she's okay soon enough. She may be preparing to moult. Crabs often prepare themselves to moult early when a limb is lost. That may be why she is not moving or eating. Take care, we're all rooting for you and Olina.

10. hello_hammerheads

thank you for your advice. all of you. i did discard teh limb, it smelled. i leave her alone except fro when i have to change the food. i will do the honey thing, i don't have spiruilina though unfortunately though.

11. nancy

I'm sorry, Hello Hammerheads. I called you the wrong name. You can get spirulina at any healthfood store. It's one of the best things to feed a crabby. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals and zeaxanthin.

12. hello_hammerheads

thanks again. should i keep her in the dark adn alone?

i have 10 hermit crabs and 9 of them are still int eh other tank while obliuna is in the isolation tank that i set up all nice for her with new playsand adn teh conditions are perfect, it is a little barren, tehre are hiding spots adn salt adn frsh spring water etc.. but not a lot of climbing things because seh hasn't moved adn they are in the other tank. about 5 crabs are up in teh other tank, but 4 are under molting. 2 have just molted that are up. there is EE in that tank adn it has been in there too long adn it is molding. =[ would it be ok if i put the 5 crabs [well some went down last night so like 2 crabs] that are up in teh iso tank with her adn put all teh climbing things in there so as they come up one by one i can remove them so when they are all out i can change it? or would it do to much damage?

please help me some more. thank you.

13. nancy

This is a tough one. I would not add to the stress of Olina by adding anything or any crabbie to the iso right now. I would attempt to treat the mold problem, if possible while the molters are still down. Is the mold centered around a piece of driftwood or anything else? If so, I would pull it out of the tank. I would attempt to pick up all the mold by hand and then mist the area on a daily basis with salt water. If the mold is widespread, I would make another iso for my crabs until I could redo the whole tank. I've made temporary quarters out of tupperware bins. You've got to get the crabs away from the mold. It's deadly. It seems to me it gives them at least a fighting chance if you dig them up.

14. Hermie's rule

Hermie's rule "Second Molt In Progress"

Also, no more insence burnin' around them...please. The smell travels and can easily harm them.

15. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

I still don't get what she is saying???????????????????????????????????

16. crabbiepants

crabbiepants (Micro Crab)

Just thought I would share what happened 3 days ago. I had one of my new Ruggies or Es (not sure which they are yet) drop a BP on the ride home. They were in a horrible Petco there were 3 hermies in there dead and these where the last three guys alive I bought all of them and had a stern conversation with the store manager and I called the customer survey line and told them what was going on.

So I always iso new crabs but I got home isoed them then ran out to get dinner when I got home he had dropped another 2 legs I was freaking out because I have only had hermies alittle over a week.

The other ones in there ate his legs I guess cuz I couldn't find them and he wouldn't come out of his shell. So the next morning the other 2 seemed fine so I put them in the main tank. I got some organic fruit (a mango) and calcium (a little pack of sand dollars) I boiled the fruit down in dechlorinated water and crushed the sand dollars and then mushed every thing together. Then I put a food dish full of it and I picked him up and put him next to it under the hut. I got up this morning and he was lively and running around and Lewie my pp that went down for a molt came up and was running around like a mad man. So I put Lewie in the main tank and left Ned in the iso covering the iso with a black sheet in my spare room in quite Ned has done a 180. Now he is in the living room with the sheet over the iso and is very friendly. He comes over and tries to climb my hand when I feed him. I have been boiling the mango and putting calcium in there everyday. I think that might be helping alot because he was on the manufactured food at the store. I have also kept pretty deep shells with each water in there. I don't know if this will help but he is so much happier today and has turned out to be my most friendly.

I don't know when I am going to put him in the main tank but I will let you know when he goes back. PS** I put a small mirror on the outside of the iso tank so that he doesn't feel alone and can see himself.** That also might help.

10 gallons are so cheap make the other crabs a different iso tank and just use the extra sand from "O's" tank in there to get them out of the main tank. And as they come up put them in the ten if they aren't going to be down to much longer. If they are smaller it shouldn't take long. The mold needs to get out of there asap, you don't want your hermies eating the mold spores. :( And as they come up put them in the other 10 gal. I think that "O" might need to be completely alone.

Good luck and best wishes.

Last edited: May 30, 2007
  17. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

Can I ask you something silly?! What happens when you boil the fruit down? Are you doing it to turn into something like baby food consistancy? Sorry for the dumb question but I've never heard of that before. Could be something I would try if I knew why I was doing it, especially when the b/f asks ... what in the hell are you doing! LOL ...

Thanks!

18. hello_hammerheads

thank you all for your help but oblina has died.

i am going to the store to get a replacement because i am kinda depressed adn need cheering up adn when i get back i am re-doing teh tank as much as i can so teh crabbies can coem out so i can change teh ee soon.

19. crabbiepants

crabbiepants (Micro Crab)

Yeah my little guy wouldn't eat the fresh stuff so I wouldn't say boil maybe just simmer so that it gets a little softer without loosing all the good stuff plus it makes it easier for me to mix it with stuff that he needs without him picking through it. Like the calcium and stuff he needs to get better.

And I am so sorry to hear about "O" I hope the new crabby is beautiful...:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.