1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow :o

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by Missy, Nov 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I was given a few hermit crabs about 3 almost 4 months ago. At first they were cute little creatures in a plastic little cage/box. I was told mist them often lol and feed them these dry things that come in a bottle from a pet store. Watching my 3 little crabs just sit there I felt like it was more like animal cruelty then anything else.

So I decided to do a little research and to my knowledge a large world out there all for these little guys. I realized quickly my little crabitat (hehe such a cute name) was a death box and had to make changes immediately. Since then its been almost an obsession to make sure they are in good hands. I recently lost my dog and these are the next little guys in my life and wanna make sure i provide a real good home (and my oh my can they ever live long!). Then I stumbled upon this site and I can honestly say it is probably the most reliable and helpful considering the internet i found was full of good information but also a lot of misleading and frankly incorrect info out there as well.

[​IMG]

this is Jack the Ripper

[​IMG]

This is Baby

[​IMG]

This is Big Guy :] the big guy ( he was purchased a week after putting up my tank)

[​IMG]

Baby, Jack, and Houdini

Jack and Houdini were given names really easily since they showed a lot of personality. Baby however is really small and easily intimidated so we left it at baby and Big Guy does a lot of climbing and sleeping and haven't found the right name for him yet so he is still Big Guy for now. I'm definitely open to suggestions!!

I will post pics of my current crabitat soon! I have a 20g for now and maintain all the specifics that I have learned. I wanna make additions to the family but wanna make sure i can take care of who i have before I go on bringing more crabs home.

Happy crabbing and thanks for all the wonderful info!

Cheers :]

2. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Welcome to Hermit Crabs ~R~ Us! I have 4 hermit crabs named Elmo, Juliet, Wasabi, and Smokey. Elmo and Juliet are Ecuadorians, and Wasabi and Smokey are Purple Pinches. They are currently housed in a 30-gallon glass aquarium, with 3" of EE (Eco Earth) as substrate. They are fed a pelleted crab, coconut, brine shrimp, and octopus/squid meat.

Happy crabbing! =-]

3. xAizaOnigirix

xAizaOnigirix (Small Crab)

Congrats on the improvements! i agree, this place is the best! there's nothing more reliable than someone who has experienced it all already!
    your crabbies are sooo cute! good luck =]

4. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

! Hermies4ever I love the names of your crabbies :] such good names hahah what kind of food did you say you fed them? is it available at the aquarium stores or where could i find it (who makes the food?). I currently right now make them fresh servings of fruits veg and meats on a daily basis however am always afraid they aren't getting a balanced diet!

30g I wanna upgrade to that soon =]

I don't know the species of hermies I have either if anyone could help that would be great. :D

Cheers!

5. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

I love the names of your crabs! Do you have pictures of your crabs too? I don't know the types of crabs I have but I think they are all Ecuadorian crabs.

I haven't had any experience with EE substrate. How do you handle the cleaning process? I currently use calcium sand 3 different gradients to give them more of a realistic feel (i believe it worked since they immediately burrowed themselves under where as they sat on the surface when I was using only two substrates that were a lot more fine in texture). My crabs just recently went under and I believe they are going to molt so I won't be making any changes soon. However I have been just throwing out the old sand after a few weeks of having it and do a quick sifting of the surface more frequently to remove their waste. I heard the EE can break down their poop?

6. Hermies4Ever

Thank you, and I will try to post some pictures ASAP (As Soon As Possible)!!! The cleaning process is easy, you usually do not have to do anything!!! Yes, it is true that EE (Eco Earth) is able to break down hermlet poo. . .

7. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

ahh that's so awesome! no cleaning. now does this stuff attract bugs or mites since i rather do more cleaning then fight with little bugs :(

8. Hermies4Ever

Yes, but from my experience, no. . .

9. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

10. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

hey there. I'm glad you found us!

the substrate you linked looks like it should be fine. Just make sure you buy blocks of pure coco husk and you'll be set to go.

Mites and bugs do happen. Mites are lethal to them. Bugs are gross for you. I think we all will run into bugs at some point, be it fruit flies (and their wiggly babies) or some of those oat beetles, etc. But the only real emergency red flag I would say is mites.

When you get your substrate soak it in salt water, it helps with some of the easier to kill stuff, and also to give it a bit of mold resistance.

I stopped using the coco substrate because I found it hard to spot crawlies, and the poo doesn't so much get broken down, but mixed in there (eeeeck) so I switched to very very well washed play sand.

They love that too. All personal choice really.

11. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

I'm not sure about that soil, it is more like dirt and not the best for them when they want to molt as it can become packed hard like cement. That stuff is like the consistency of a damp potting soil.
    EE (Eco-Earth) is 100 % coconut fiber. It is light and airy and soft even when damp.
    It holds humidity well without getting brick hard.
    The crabs love to dig in it and it is also safe for them to eat.
    for a 20 Gal. Mine took 3 bricks of the EE and it was about $5 for the 3 pk. so it is inexpensive.
    When you get it you can soak it in purified salt water (Marine salt like Instant ocean)
    That way it prevents mold, I always add a little extra salt when I am soaking stuff just to be safe.
    Before you soak the bricks of EE you should take them out of the plastic and put the bricks on a cookie sheet and bake them @300 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
    This will ensure there was nothing living in there from the pet store or the factory it was packaged in. If there was the baking will kill it.

As for cleaning, you can reuse EE every 6 months or so you can bake it and soak it again. I mean that's alot of work and it is cheaper just to buy fresh but it CAN be done.
    I have been using EE for about 2 months (Switched from play sand)
    I like it better, there is less odor and the EE holds moisture better to help keep the humidity up in the tank.
    my crabs dig more.
    The Calci sand that you have them in now is not good for them at all but save some and sprinkle a bit on their food, it IS a good calcium source!

12. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

:(:(oh dear this went from wow to a very big bad wow in very little time.

Recently when i upgraded my tank we purchased three types of substrate. Two of them were calcium sand that I had purchased from before and then at the aquarium store I purchased another bag of calcium enriched sand. However I spoke to the guy at the place and he told me it had calcium and magnesium and other minerals my crabs would need/like. Well with little research I quickly mixed it in the tank and got it ready and put my crabs in. Just shortly after mixing in the sand my crabs began digging themselves into the ground. This they did not do with the calcium sand that had very fine granules.

So here is the big 911 Emergency which I think i should move over to the other part of the forum

I currently have three crabs under the the surface and have been down there for 5+ days now. I just learned the substrate i was using has natural bacterias in it and didn't bake the sand before using it. I hope someone has answers I don't know what to do. I can and will run out to the store to get EE and anything else asap but I know i can't dig up my crabs what do I do? pray they don't get eaten alive? I believe its called aragonite sand that i used :(

help:(

13. cloie74

I replied to your other thread but will reply here also.
    aragonite sand is great for them, alone (But can be very expensive to fill a tank). Calci sand is bad for them unless it is just a little sprinkled on their food.
    The problem with Calci sand is it is bad for them when they molt, when a crab goes down to molt and the calci sand gets wet it becomes like concrete when it dries and your crab gets basically Entombed and dies inside the brick of calci sand.
    how much of a mix are you using? 50/50?
    how long have your crabs been down?
    Have they molted in your care before?
    Chances are if you just moved them to a new tank they are buried to destress and get acclimated to the new diggs.
    It is up to you if you want to get them up and switch the substrate, but have an ISO ready in case one is mid molt!
    Acceptable substrates I would recommend is:
    Playground sand (The cheapest from any hardware store $5 for 50 lbs)
    Eco Earth (EE) Petco 3 bricks for $5 enough for your 20 Gal.
    A mixture of the 2 you can do half sand and half EE and let your crabs decide what you like better.

14. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

Sorry for the trouble and thank you for the response.

I put most of the calcium sand on one side of the tank and have just a small amount mixed into the aragonite where my crabs have buried themselves. I did not bake my soil however :( so I would say 90% cal on one side and 80% of aragonite where the crabs are in. The area with 90% cal sand does not have enough substrate for my crabs to submerge themselves comfortable at least not the bigger ones.

My crabs are going on 5+ days (they went under individually about half a day a part) I just got these crabs a few months ago so this is a first experience day by day and no previous molts.

15. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

my friend uses the aragonite, and has had one successful molt. doesn't seem to bother the crabs none.

The calci sand everyone says is bad for crabs, I didn't even get that far, the stuff gave me such a strong allergic reaction I had to get it out of my house fast and clean my entire room and floor and run the air filter for days before I stopped sneezing.

16. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

lol oh dear thank goodness you got rid of it quickly wonder what it was causing the reaction.

So these little bacterias won't eat my little babies? I didn't bake the sand which I would think would kill all those little live bacterias.

17. cloie74

no the bacteria is dead, it isnt living until it is in water like a salt water tank.
    Well I would suggest that you get as much as the calci sand as you can out and put something else in
    when you put all the sand in there did you leave it dry or mix it with salt water to make it damp?
    If it is dry they probably wont stay under to molt. when crabs molt they need damp sand so that they can make themselves a type of cavern so the sand needs to be a sand castle consistency.
    I think that if you take out the calci and replace it with play sand or more aragonite you should be OK,
    when your crabs come up mix the new sand with the other side that has the little bit of calci sand in it and some salt water to make it damp and that should be A-OK I dont think there will be enough calci sand at that point to worry about. :)

18. Missy

Missy (Micro Crab)

The aragonite came a little damp out of the bag. So I think they will be okay since they pretty much immediately went under as soon as they got their little feet on the aragonite sand. As for the left side of the tank with all the calci sand I will have it removed and changed to EE as soon as I know its safe enough for my babies. Once again you guys are great. Thanks for all the good info.

Cheers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.