1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WOW!! It's like a new TV show every day with these guys!

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by HermieNewbies, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermieNewbies

HermieNewbies Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm sure some of you have read my other posts where I talk about how in the first week of us having our hermies our one crab, Eli, had molted. Well, he had went into seclusion since the molt and for about the last week or so hasn't been seen moving so much as an inch.

Well, this morning we woke up around 4:30AM and, as usual, had to check on the crabs. We certainly did not expect to see what we found!

[​IMG]

Our crab that molted a week ago is running around naked!

[​IMG]

Then later today my wife saw the beginnings of what appeared to be a shell fight and before we got them ISO'd she caught a few pictures.

[​IMG]

In the throws of battle.....

[​IMG]

Well, Eli has now taken over the shell that Snipper just moved out of last weekend. They are both back together now that they are both in shells again.

Now, Snipper has buried himself and we're starting to wonder if he's going into pre-molt stage.......

Two weeks or so into our hermie experience and all of this already. As the wife says "It's better than TV!!".

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

I got a question about the wood chips. Is that your substrate?

3. HermieNewbies

No. The main base is cleansed play sand. On top of that on one side is a crab sand / calci sand mixture and on approximately 25% of the floor space there is about a 1" coverage of this barch mulch on top of the play sand. It gives them a few options of what they want to play around in.

4. vckums

vckums Moderator

Any idea what type of wood it is? Do you have any problems with keeping your humidity correct? Sorry, don't mean to be asking a ton of questions at ya. Just curious as I've always been told not to use the wood bark/chips as it sucks up the humidity and some woods are harmful to them.

5. HermieNewbies

I'm pretty sure the wood is cypress mulch. It is virtually odorless and does not irritate the crabbies like cedar or pine might. I find they both quite enjoy playing around in it.

As we only use the mulch as a thin layer on a smaller section of the crabitat floor we haven't notice any fluctuations in the humidity. We're able to keep our humidity very constant with just the regular misting that would normally take place.

6. vckums

vckums Moderator

Thanks for asnwering! When I do my tanks I go for the natural look and I like how the bark looks. You're the first I've seen to use it. I think I'm going to try a section next time I redo the tank for a deep clean and follow yours, but just leaving it on top.
    Thanks for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.