1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wounded crab and molting

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I mentioned that my littlest crab, Sylvester, had suffered from PPS and lost everything but his BP and a leg on each side.

I was just curious, since he needs to molt to regrow these limbs, will his body put him into a molt sooner because of it???

I really hope he does molt soon, I can't even look at him, he breaks my heart. He's such a cute little thing and seems to have such spirit and in a freakish way he looks almost happy to just be able to sit and look around most of the time. Just thankful to be here type of thing.

Also, will his small pincher grow back with his missing legs??? I've never had a crab lost limbs in all the time I've been crabbing.

2. vckums

vckums Moderator

It is possible. Keep an eye out for gel limbs. They would probably be easy to see since he's missing many legs. He will regrow his small pincher just like the legs. I got my fingers crossed for him!

3. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Thank you very much. I'm worried and I find myself checking on him constantly, just to make sure no one is picking on him or anything.

4. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

One of my tiny Es has three legs missing. I don't know for how long, since he was very shy and didn't move around much. I put him in one of my ISO tanks and after a week or so he went down. Actually, I felt it was easier for me, since I wouldn't have to worry about him and I could easily monitor him to see if he was eating and drinking.

5. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Thats actually something I wanted to ask. Since he's "disabled", would the other crabs go after him because he's defenseless?

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

he should molt faster and it depends on the aggression issue and how the tank gets along----I have not had bully issues over deformities- but playing it safe is well safe :)

7. Yadokari

Yadokari (Small Crab)

No, crabs don't target the weak. However, that may not include those "unique individuals" who just so happen to have that weird personality that likes to bully his peers. But in general, crabs are friendly towards each other. If you think about it, that's why we can keep crabs of various sizes together. Big or small, they all get together happily :)

Good luck to your little crab!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.