1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried Crab Mom

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by DaisyCrab, Nov 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

My little Robby is finally molting. After ALL his previous digging, he's doing it above ground. He's in one of the wooden huts. I took the bottom of a pop bottle (advice of a fellow crab lover on here) and put it over him with the top cute out of it, so no one will bother him. I put a small peice of cardboard over part of the top to keep any light from shining in. His eye sockets are empty and he looks to be about half done already since yesterday.
    Is there anything else I can do? Is what I've done so far a good start? Does a surface molt run it's course faster?
    Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

2. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

I don't know the answer of your last question, but I want to give you my opinion. I recently had a surface molter, and she (being between a medium and large sized crab) was completed the process in a little over a week (meaning she was up and walking around again). I don't know if it's just her, or if surface molts really are faster, as I can't really think of any reason why they would actually be faster. Maybe it's just because the ones who bury are buried for so long that we get impatient and want to see them and make sure they're okay. I really don't know. Maybe they bury for a while first and then start molting and then stay buried for a while afterwards, so it's as though they are taking longer. Anyway, just my thoughts...

3. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

I can't see how an above ground molt would go faster either, but I do remember my first hermie (named Hermie) molted in under a week above ground.
    I just hope Robby will be ok.

4. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

We had a small crab molt recently, but we didn't know what was going on until my son dug up his exoskeleton. He had been burying himself under a water dish and disappeared for almost a week. We freaked out when we found the exoskeleton because it looked like we had a dead crab on our hands....I looked inside the shell and there was a really pink fresh crabby inside. We moved him to an isolation tank and he ate most of his exoskeleton in just a matter of days and was acting normal again. Sounds like you have already done the right thing for your surface molter!:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.