1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wonderful news!

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by reader101, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reader101

reader101 Banned

Just by chance, I called my local supplier to place an order for dog food & supplies, and happened to inquire of hermies. Lo and behold, not only did they have 2 jumbo pper's (absolutely rare in this area), but two smaller E's. When I expressed immediate interest in the PPer's, the owner asked if I would also take the other two, free, knowing they would get the best care (and even mentioned not wanting to split the colony! My, how much he's learned). Total cost for all 4 - $9. I can't wait to meet them!
    It's wonderful to have an educated supplier, as he seemed to know the little guys' needs.
    :)

2. dancinhermielover

dancinhermielover (Micro Crab)

Wow! That's awesome! I wish my local suppliers would do that! I just bought a 4th hermie today. I don't think that any of the pet stores near us carry jumbo hermit crabs. What supplier was it?

3. reader101

reader101 Banned

I'd like to think that telling you my supplier (a small store, linked to PetValu) would help, but unless you live close to me (not likely!) to deal with the same store, the best advice I can give is as I posted earlier...that being, to educate your supplier in the needs of hermies and requirements for purchasers, even if you have to be a bit of a bully...just point out, the higher their survival rate, the more $$$ for them...establish a relationship. Help educate employees, set up their tank if you have to. By doing just that, I have a reputation in a city of 1/2 mil. people as someone for advice and taking in hermies. With this particular store, even their supplier is familiar with what I want, and tries to find it. The jumbos I've bought have been mainly through their efforts, and the success rate is incredible - my colony is presently about 30, and about to grow! Thankfully, I managed to get some of the most beautiful shells for them before that vendor burned me. Oh, well!
    Two jumbo PPer's and two rescue (size unknown) E's coming. Any suggestions for names?
    :D
    Happy Momma

4. reader101

reader101 Banned

P.S. - What species and size did you get? Do you isolate immediately?
    Lots Of Luck!

5. dancinhermielover

I bought a small/medium (I'm not exactly sure) PP yesterday that was very very active. I didn't isolate her immediately; I have never done that and my hermies are all fine. Should I have isolated her? :)

6. reader101

reader101 Banned

Is that Violet? Excessive activity (esp. in the daytime) may be a sign of stress, such as pacing, excited, confused. I always bathe my newbies to refresh shell water and eliminate parasites, and immediately give a good food in an iso, for maybe a week or so, depending on how soon they start coming up more frequently and seem healthy.
    Re more wonderful news...I just received a call that the newbies are on their way home...with a surprise. While emptying the tank of the 2 PP'ers, & spec. unknown 2 adoptees, he dug up two more molters, unintentionally. So, they're on the way, too. Six hermies for $9. Pays to know and educate your supplier - in this case, the owner actually had the welfare of the 4 remaining hermies in mind.
    Gotta go meet the new fellas!
    Big Smile!

7. dancinhermielover

Yep! That's Violet! I am giving them all a bath tonight. WOW! 6 hermies for $9! What species are the two molters? :)

Good luck!!
    -Courtney

8. reader101

reader101 Banned

Whew! Hope you didn't get as wet as I did...bathed and assessed all newcomers, dancing between computer and sneaking peeks, now. Whaat a wunderful way to spend a Sat. nite! Here's the low down:

The largest (and I mean tennis ball size!) is supposed to be a PPer. I have yet to see one with red eyes, and suspect possibly Straw. - colors are so brilliant. Healthy, active, ate well, but desperately shell shopping.

The second - a pper or same as other - didn't make a move from the time of arriving. Seemed terribly dehydrated, clogged up in bathing. Still no movement. Placed in palm with home brew food, and was certain I felt movement, but still no movement out of shell when placing into iso. 1 hr. later - turned around, started digging. Thank God! Time will tell, as he is retreated far enough into shell I can't check for limbs, etc., but the colour was very deep. Hopefully he now has what he needs.

Next - an E, rambunctious as they come! About same size as my current jumbo, Andre. No holding him down.

3 sus. molters (about quarter-size)turned out to need nothing more than cleaning up, food and fresh shells. Two E's, and 1 like I've never seen. You can sometimes guess by their shells who may be similar, but this guy/gal is in an all-black shell with an all-black body. Suggestions welcomed!
    :D

9. reader101

reader101 Banned

Thanks, Courtney. If you want to know the follow-up on this adoption/purchase, check out Molting for amazing molt.
    Ver-r-r-ry interesting! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.