1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wings

Discussion in 'Store's Exposed.' started by YouveGotCrabs, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

Today I went hermie/hermie shell hunting in Wilmington/Wrightsville Beach, NC. I was hoping to find some large or jumbo crabs or maybe some species other than PP at the souvenir shops, so I checked out Wings in Wrightsville Beach.

Before I go on, let me just say that I've become somewhat accustomed to seeing hermit crabs in stores in less-than-ideal and often completely wrong or even squalid conditions. Though I don't approve, I suppose I've become somewhat inured to it.

Nothing could've prepared me for the hermit crab holocaust I saw at Wings today. They were in the typical souvenir shop wood and wire cage, but this one had an open front so everyone could just reach right in and manhandle the poor critters. Crab parts littered the bare wire floor of the cage, and there were several dead naked crabs lying around. Some of them had obviously been there awhile. Many shells had dead dried up crabs in them. There was a tray with moist sponges in it, and a dish with something that must've been "hermit crab food". There was a crab lying in the food dish. The shell was so light I thought the crab was just another dried up half-eaten dessicated corpse, but it moved. Poor thing was still alive, barely. The ones that had the strength had crawled up to the top of the cage where they were harder to get at.

Ironically, there was a sign posted on the cage that "These are FRESHWATER crabs! Anything you find on the beach (sand, shells, wood, water, etc) will KILL them!!!!"

Needless to say I didn't buy any hermies (or anything else for that matter) at Wings today.

2. Hermies4Life

Hermies4Life (Small Crab)

OMG thats soo mean! I would have yelled at them so much right there right then actually i think i would have prbably punched someone lol xD but thats just me

3. Michele213

Michele213 "Never Molted"

I would have asked an employee for a pen and changed their sign:

Fresh would be crossed out and changed to "ocean and fresh".
    Kill them would have been crossed out and replaced with "ruin our bottom line".
    And at the bottom I would have added "Crab sized coffins should be bought with every crab purchase, please ask an associate about our buy one get one free offer"

4. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

This is money. If you go there and change the sign and take a picture and post it, I'll buy you food from the hermitcrabaddictionstore.com. But you really gotta do it.

5. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

You would think they would be at least somewhat motivated by profit to keep these critters alive. They charge between 2.99 (for the smallest ones) and $19.99 (for "giant", though I didn't see any giant ones this time). Not to mention the plastic or (ugh) wire "hermie houses", extra food, extra shells, etc that people usually buy when they get a hermie. From a purely business perspective, every time one of their hermies dies they lose a $7-$10-ish sale, potentially more.

6. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Thats mean -too short-. They should atleast stop selling those crabs. It great that you left that place.

7. Michele213

Michele213 "Never Molted"

I just got food from the Hermit Crab Addiction Store. I also live in Minnesota, not North Carolina. If someone wants to flip the bill for hotel and air flight, I have a few weeks off still.

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever (Large Crab)

Meanies!!! Poor hermies. . . Dried out corpses, hermies in spasms and suffering dehydration, crab parts, it's terrible!!!

9. cloie74

cloie74 "Second Molt, A Success"

Go back to the store and take some pictures and post them on your local craigslist under "PETS" The people that cruise the pet section are all HUGE animal lovers and they will take care of that store, trust me lol They will have such a huge boycott, there may even be a member to an ASPCA group or something that can actually DO something about the way they are taken care of.
    You can also print out a care sheet and send it to the store with a little note of how appalled you were when you wee in there, the owner/manager of the store proably does not even know that they are being taken care of that way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.