1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Willing to adopt in Florida

Discussion in 'Adopt A Hermie - Save A Life, Adopt A Hermit Crab.' started by blondebomber222001, Mar 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blondebomber222001

blondebomber222001 Hi, I'm New Here!

HI everyone!!
    I have a tank of 5 hermies in my classroom--I teach agriscience and I've found that my students find our hermies to be very exciting--but 5 aren't enough for 20 students--they all want to name one, be responsible for their care, misting,etc---right now we share. I can honestly say that having "other class members" in our class has been incredible. My students have a reason to do "real" research, write and learn. If anyone has hermies in Florida that they need a new home for please consider me--I do know the proper conditions and care that they need and they are a great teaching tool--thanks:D

2. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

noone really ever responds to these. what grade do you teach? you know you are not supposed to mist the crab.

3. blondebomber222001

I teach only 8th grade--hormones on feet but I do love it--maturity is kicking in plus I only get the upper level students so I don't have alot of the discipline problems I see in other classes--
    We don't mist the crabs however--since we are in an old building which tends to totally dry out their tank and everything in it--the substrate needs to be misted so that the humidity doesn't drop too low--everything comes out of the tank and it gets cleaned and misted as needed--which is about once a week-the kids can't believe how much the crabs drag everything around--they claim now that the crabs are worse than teens when it comes to keeping their "bedroom"--
    Perhaps no one ever responds but if you don't put it out there then you have no chance at all--at least it's an opportunity.

4. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hi "blondebomber222001"---Welcome!!:)
    It's wonderful that you have the hermies in your classroom and the children have become so involved. It gives them an insight and education to some of the "lesser known" world around them, all the while having fun and learning to care.
    As far as adoptions, there are indeed those that respond. Sometimes someone ends up with too many, or they can't care for them anymore, or they have to move, etc. Happy crabbing, and I hope you'll enjoy it here. :)

5. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

do you feed them fresh food?

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I do believe she said she knows the proper conditions and care that they need....

7. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

no no no i was just asking. no offense!:D i just wanted to know because it would be kinda hard to bring fresh food to school everyday!

no offense at all

8. blondebomber222001

I actually teach agriscience--so not only do all my animals and creatures get fresh food--they get fresh food that we grow--right here--so it's a huge circle that is really great for the kids! It's part of the learning experience in my class-everything from learning the scientific names to lifecycles to habitat to food--then we make sure we are adhering to the proper things--it makes teaching so much easier as the kids are very excited about everything that needs to be done--including cleaning;) Imagine that one:) C

9. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

wow i wish we did that in one of my class rooms. my science teacher is so lazy! i am grade 6. he would never do anything like that! he starts class 20 minutes late everyday!:mad:

10. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Gosh that would be cool to be in your class.:) My old 3rd grade science teacher was really a bore. We did sooo many work sheets and that's all. Now my Science teacher is pretty fun but we don't have any class pets. Our class voted on getting an ant farm for a class pet.:rolleyes: Over a snake! By the way check craigslist. You could probably find a lot there and get a cheap bigger tank if you need one.
    Good Luck.

11. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Where in FL In july im going there and bringing my hermies so maybe if you live in Orlando we can meet or somewhere

12. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Ohh i thought u said u r going to give me a hermie opps sorry

13. CrabbySandy

CrabbySandy Hi, I'm New Here!

Where are you located in Florida?

I'm in Fort Lauderdale and I have one medium Purple Pincher up for adoption. His tank mate did not survive his last molt. :-( Where are you located? What size are your crabs? How big is the tank? Do the crabs get regular excercise out of the tank? Do you take the crabs home during vacations? How long have you been keeping crabs?

It sounds like your class is really great. I'll bet your students love you. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.