1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wierd molt?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by hermie101, Mar 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hermie101

hermie101 (Micro Crab)

one of my hermit crabs just surface molted and i saw him out eating his exo- skeleton.one of his legs is curled up and some of his legs are bigger than others. is this lika a deformed molt? did stress cause this to happen?

2. CrabbyAbby

CrabbyAbby (Micro Crab)

I've never heard of legs being larger than others after molt. Which legs do you believe are larger than you'd expect them to be? Sometimes if humidity isn't high enough a hermit can struggle to pull his limbs out of the shed exo and remain with the limbs trapped. Is this possibly what you are seeing? Was he moved or disturbed? What is your temp and humidity? With a topside molt you want your humidity to be higher than normal because molting is such a physically demanding job and they breathe heavier so their gills dry quicker and easier. What kind of foods do you offer?

If he's got tankmates in with him, make sure to wall him off with something for his own protection. Until his new exo hardens and he regains muscle function he's pretty defenseless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.