1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why use ISO tank?

Discussion in 'Isolation (ISO).' started by Carlos, Sep 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlos

Carlos "Never Molted"

So Iv'e heard that when you buy some more crabs, you should put them in an isolation tank. But does it really matter? Because they woulnt have seen the other crabs.

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

alway use an iso!!!! ( aleast that my opion)
    Because some new crab may smell diffrent from your current crab or it may have missing legs or be ill.... its just best to iso them for like say.....3-4 days

3. Carlos

Carlos "Never Molted"

Well I never said I wasnt going to use an ISO tank. Im not stupid. I was just asking what the complete purpose of it ws.

4. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Why is everyone getting so "crabby" lately? We are all supposed to help each other out!

I have come to understand that you should iso your new crabs for two weeks to check for mites and illnesses.

Now who's gonna make a stab at what I said? huh? :)

5. Bumble

Bumble (Micro Crab)

No one questioned your intelligence, Carlos. HermitPaws just stated her opinion. With the proper information, you can now make the best choice for your crabbies. Have a good day!:)

6. Carlos

Carlos "Never Molted"

well, im sick today so im a little mad.

7. vckums

vckums Moderator

Everyone gets cranky, the correct thing to do would be to appologize.

8. Carlos

Carlos "Never Molted"

Sorry, but like i said, im sick so im a bit cranky today.

9. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

I'm sick too. I know how you feel. But...I still try to be nice.:)

10. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

An ISO is for sick and new hermies. With new hermies, the ISO is set at low humidity. I slowly bring the humidity up so they can adjust to their new home. It makes de-stressing a bit easier on them.

11. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I don't really get the point of using an ISO for new hermit crabs. I read that when you get a new hermit crab, you should put him and all of the other hermit crabs in a bath together. Won't that take care of hermies smelling different? Also, how is the ISO supposed to help hermit crabs with missing legs? I'm just curious. Thank you!

12. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

An ISO helps with the de-stress period. When a hermie is de-stressing they usually want to be alone. Many times they will hide or dig down. Once they are calm, they then decide whether they need to molt. When they start becoming active in the tank is when you can move him/her to the main tank.

Your ISO should have humidity & temp close to what the new guy's previous home was (i.e. the pet store which can be hardly any humidity). You then should slowly raise the temp and humidity so the hermie can adjust. Eventually your ISO will be the same as your main tank. Then if the hermie has not dug down, you can put him in the main tank. That is when all the hermies (or as many as possible) get the salt bath with the new guy.

I had one adopted hermie who stayed down to de-stress for a good three months. The last month he came up to eat about every third day (during the wee hours so I didn't see him but saw the evidence).

13. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

To add to wizkidsmom I want to say also your newbies can have mites and you don't want to infest your main tank with mites and possible your established hermies with mites, they are a pain to get rid of. I for one has never had them but I read that other who have had them have a heck of a time getting rid of them.

14. Dezzi

Dezzi "First Molt In Progress"

Definetly ISO New / Sick Crabs. When you get a new crab, he/she may "seem" healthy, but you never know, so it's best 2 ISO, so your other crabs are not exposed (IF the crab is sick). Good Luck :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. haleye1997

haleye1997 (Small Crab)

always iso!

16. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

When you introduce new crabs to the existing environment, it stresses your existing crabs as well, as it increases competition for food and space. The new crabs will have this stress on top of the stresses of a completely different environment with different sounds as well. Your new crabs could also be carrying mites, or disease, and it is best to keep them isolated from the others to determine the healthiness of the crabs as well as to prevent spreading it to your main tank.
    As wizkidsmom said, it can be very hard on your new hermies to adapt to a "proper" environment after being in a possibly horrible pet store environment. They need to adjust slowly. When you bring them home from a "dry" pet store that did not maintain proper humidity, you should set the humidity (always calibrate your gauges monthly) at 60% and every few days increase it by a few percentage points. Always try to mimic the environment temp and humidity they came from and very slowly change it, the larger the crab, the slower the changes. Hope this helps. :)

17. Poppy

Poppy "Second Molt, A Success"

Well I havent used an ISO tank yet because I just bought 2 crabs that were living together already and its a new tank so I dont see the point of having a ISO tank just yet lol

18. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Let just say you have a molt, or sick crab, or crab with flies. Where you going to put the other one. If you had 1 I would understand, but you have to buy and ISO. Go to WAL*MART. I found this big tank for $13.89.

19. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

That would be a ten gallon tank you saw. You don't need to ISO molting crabs unless it's a surface molt. An ISO would be a good idea though, because if you got a new crab unexpectedly or something... If I were you I would just keep an eye out on craigslist or store in case you see a cheap five gallon you can buy. And Cooldoggy, if your tank is smaller or the same size than the ten gallon you saw at walmart and you have over 5 crabs you definitely need a new tank.

20. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

If you have a fish tank that how big my hermit crab tank is. Here i'm going to post it on my website on my photo gallery

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.