1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

why dont they ever molt???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by kristincraig, Jun 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kristincraig

kristincraig Hi, I'm New Here!

through the years i have had many hermit crabs every size/color but only two ever molted. i have had 3 very smalls and only one molted(i had them for 4 months). the smaller ones are supposted to molt like every two months right? am i doing somthing wrong? maybe all the salt water they play in is keeping them from molting? i stopped misting after it made everything yucky in my one cage. maybe they need the extra moisture to molt. what should i do???

2. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

The small ones will molt more than the bigger ones.I don't thing salt has anything to do with it.I mist my tat atleast once a day.To them in the wild it rains & that's pretty much what mist does it also keeps the temp & Humidity up. You should mist unless your tat get's moldly then clean it.

3. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

what the temp and humidity?

4. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

one thing i've heard of/myth is the tips of your crabs legs will be dull when its time to molt. i don't know if thats true or not.

5. keris hermies

keris hermies "Third Molt In Progress"

6. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

The crabs will molt when they're ready as long as the conditions are right. Make sure your substrate is deep enough to bury in and that it's "sandcastle-building" consistency (not too dry, not too wet). I had one small crab not molt for more than a year, but another crab I have molted once every other month for the first few months after I got her. Just depends!!

7. Crabbybeach

Crabbybeach (Medium Crab)

Relax I think. Hermit crabs molt at on their own times not ours.

8. Kyxoan

Kyxoan "Preparing For First Molt"

Crabbybeach, not to be mean but why is every post you make under 2 sentances in length and contains only an obvious statement in it's context?

I actully got bored one day and decided to read all your posts and everything you posted was like "yea I have that" or "relax they do that when they want to" or "why dont you put it how you feel best". People are here asking advice not to just get an obvious response (at least I think they are).

But whatever.. to each his/her own.

9. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

I have had my two small crabs for about 6 months now and they have only molted once. It took them quite a while to molt. My other crabs are medium size and they have only molted once. One of my crabs was under for 3 weeks before he molted then came up about 2-3 weeks later.

Some people keep a small log of their crabs and write down crab activity such as when they go under how long they are under and if they molt. Some even write down what they feed them and their bath schedules too.

Every crab is different and each crab reacts to their molts differently.

****Kyxoan, when you were a child do you remember when you fell down and skinned your knee or were worried about making friends or perhaps were worried about other situations and your parents or teachers offered you encouragement? I think thats all Crabbybeach is doing. If I was concerned about something and Crabby told me something encouraging I would be happy. But thats me.:D:p:eek:

10. vckums

vckums Moderator

Just ignore posts that you don't like. Just have to remember it's only the internet and you can turn off the computer any time you want.

Silver said it perfectly,they will molt when conditions are right. They can withhold molting for as long as 18 months. Smaller crabs do tend to molt more often then big crabs. Some species are known to have difficulties, such as E's, when molting.

11. choppylikespringles3

choppylikespringles3 "Never Molted"

what kind of diffculties?

12. Switchblade_Brigade

Switchblade_Brigade "First Molt, A Success"

Relax, depending on the size and species hermit crabs may not molt for a year or more.

13. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I raise my hermit crabs like I raise my orchids. The goal with the orchids is to get them to bloom. I give them the proper light, temperature water, fertilizer, and day length. They bloom. Now for the hermit crabs. I give them salt and fresh dechlor water, moist substrate, proper light, proper temperature, and a balanced diet containing the four elements that make a healthy diet: protein, cellulose, zeaxanthin food sources, and calcium. They receive these foods every day and they molt quite often successfully. Give them what they need and you won't have any problem. Good luck with your crabbies.

14. totolover111

totolover111 Hi, I'm New Here!

because they don't always molt ! don't be woredy:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.