1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why does molters go naked?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by indes13, Jun 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indes13

indes13 Hi, I'm New Here!

Pre-molt fella gone naked and not dug down. Already in iso-tank. Concerned it will 'dry out' before its even molted. Advise please.

2. indes13

Ok i know i shouldn't get my hopes up too high yet. The naked pre-molter has molted and has gotten back into its shell after molting. All i did was spritz some water on it once after i found it molted and naked. I guess when it starts eating its exo i'll reallly breath easier.

3. moire_eel

moire_eel "Second Molt, A Success"

That's great news that he returned to his shell! They really should keep their shells on when they molt, but a topside molt could be a sign that the crab was under stress. He could have had an irritant in his shell, too. Even though he's back in a shell, you should keep the humidity up for him and give him as much peace and quiet as possible.

4. indes13

Ok I am happier by another notch. Not only did the little molter righted itself after getting back into its shell (it was still lying opening up when i left it with a spritz of water), it is seemingly munching on its exo. I can't really see because its actually partially lying on top of it. But I'm a happy little camper at the moment. Waiting anxiously for it to come outta the hut.

5. indes13

molter's eaten most of its exo, except for the real tough bits at the ends and the claws. Will continue to moitor and give water spritz. Also put in some food and crushed egg shells in case it feels like eating.

6. moire_eel

Sounds like he's doing great! On the water spritzing ... you're spraying in the tank, not the crab itself, right? It sounds like he's doing fine, but some crabs find being sprayed directly stressful so it's better not to risk it.

7. indes13

I'm actually spritzing the exo so that he can get some moisture in while he munches on it (or the bits and pieces that's left of it anyway). He's like always in his shell and I don't lift him up to spritz him. More like spritzing the general area he is in since he has not ventured out of the hut to the pool yet.

8. hermiesRcool

hermiesRcool Hi, I'm New Here!

yay, glad that he is doing well. i think spraying the exo is okay, i don't know have much ir does though. [​IMG]

9. indes13

OH oh oh... I think he went to the pool finally...cos there's like sand in the pool and sand stuck to his behind (of the shell)....Yay yay yay...

*grinning idiot*

10. Becca

Becca (Small Crab)

FINALLY a naked story that hasn't ended in sadness.

11. indes13

Yeah... I thought I would lose this one like the previous streak molter. But he's one little toughie. I put a little plastic tree in the iso since its favourite activity pre-molt was climbing trees and sleeping in them. I came home to find my little molter on top of the tree and looking at me and the main tank in front of it (like it wants to be there again). If its eaten most of its exo and climbing, can I put him back in the main tank? He and the other hermie look lonely not having one another.

12. indes13

I've decided to put the little molter (and the remaining bits of exo - crushed) back in the main tank as it has been up the tree and up on the coco hut getting restless. Now he and his buddy are snoozing in the hut in the main tank. If they make a lot of noise tonight I'll know they are back together having fun.

13. indes13

The little bugger made a beeline for a bigger shell and immediatly jumped over. Is this normal? Its previous shell did look like it still had some space. And probably didn't like the one I put in with it into iso. Picky little bugger. LOL

14. moire_eel

Changing shells right before or after molting is not uncommon. And sometimes crabs do pick shells that don't seem like the best fit. I have one guy who just dumped his cancellaria for a green turbo he can barely hoist above his eyestalks. [​IMG] But he's been in it for a couple of weeks now, so I guess he's committed to growing into it!

15. indes13

Yeah I guess it needs a little getting used to as it keep bumping its new shell into stuff and getting stuck as its bigger....hahaha

Hilarious stuff.

16. ThreeDaisy

ThreeDaisy (Micro Crab)

My crabs usually find a new shell then go under and molt. I have one that just jumped into a shell that is clearly too big you can barely see him. But he thinks he's mondo-man now. He's not giving it up. He can carry it around. LOL Very funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.