1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do you have to seperate???

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by ha_notfunny, Apr 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ha_notfunny

ha_notfunny Hi, I'm New Here!

Please help me. I have two hermit crabs (sebastian & alberto)... Sebastian just started to molt a few days ago:eek:. A friend of mine told me that I would have to separate them, but I haven't because I saw nothing wrong with having together at the same time even if one is molting. Is it true that they have to e separate during a molt, or can you keep them together. Oh, and do they eat during the molting process?
    :confused::confused::confused:
    thanks
    ~ha_notfunny

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

You do NOT have to separate the molting crabs unless you see they are being attacked-its really best to leave them alone. They create a molt sack before they go down and that is what they eat while molting then they eat their shed exo. :)

3. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

All my hermies moult in the tank they are in. I've yet to have another crab bother a moulter.

As for eating, you might notice a crab in the water-regular and salt-and eating more than usual, so the answer is no, they don't have anything to eat when they moult.

4. silver616

silver616 "Preparing For Second Molt"

I don't separate my molters and have never had a problem with them being attacked...they usually bury themselves down far enough to avoid being disturbed by their tank-mates.

5. Lukems

Lukems "First Molt In Progress"

I personliy Dont Separate My Molters unless I Bought A New Hermie and the molter hasn't yet molted, So therefor, No I would not separate the Hermies unless there trying to Dig them up or attack them in the Process of molting.;)
    Chase (Lukems)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.