1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why did Soupy...

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by chermo, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

molt again? I have had her since July and she molted already when I first got her in July, she was down for about 3 weeks. She never came up on her own and I brought her up a few times after she was done molting the 1st time, she kept digging back down and I figured she was not molting again so I brought her back up for cleaning the tank, changing the sand from the purple to the regular color sand and to fill in all the digging holes they other 2 made during the nights. Soupy just kept digging back down again and again without eatting or drinking anything. I finally decided to just leave her and hope she was coming up and I just never saw her. I then just took the tank over to the glass table so I could see on the bottom and found her moving and pieces of exo all over surrounding her. Now my other crabs have been digging around where she is and I guess they never bothered her. I just don't understand why she would molt twice in the few months I have had her? She is in a shell with an opening of about 1/2", I thought she would only molt every 6 months or so. I just never see her and it sucks. I want all of my babies to be on the surface. So back to my question of Why did Soupy molt again since I have had her?

2. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

Maybe she never molted the first time? Have you seen 2 of the exo's? She might have just been destressing. Especially if you kept digging her back up. I know it's hard, but just let them be when they go under. How long of a duration was she under the first and second time? How large of a crab is she?

3. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

not uncommon at all.........in fact I have a LARGE Straw that should only molt 2x a year he has molted 5 times in the past year.........it all depends on if they were behind molting or if they have to fix something........noone will ever know why. I get very nervous when my big guy goes down so much- soon he will be too big for the tank BWAHHHH

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I do know she molted the first time, I saw her with her exo on the bottom of the tank just like I do now. She was under for about 3 weeks the first time and then about 2 weeks so far now. I have seen her with 2 exo's so I know she molted twice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.