1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's Who? Do you actually remember?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by shelbers91, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

I only have 3 pp's so far but with the upgrading to the 55 gal I'm thinking about getting more (little ones) However I do know who's who now, because its only 3, I'm affraid i wouldnt remember who all the littleuns would be.

so do you all remember all your crabbies or is it just a guess as to who's who in large numbers? if you do remember, is there a secret to it? lol

2. Aguardian4mypets

Aguardian4mypets (Micro Crab)

I have 5 pp. I only now who two of them are by size. The other three :eek:ops2: They don't seem to want me to know. They are similar in size and have changed shells so much in such a short time. I have told them many times it isn't nice to play tricks on me but it does no good :BangHead:

3. Dragoncrab9

Dragoncrab9 Hi, I'm New Here!

how I remember my crabs is by their big claws. the color, how big it is, and the teeth on the claw.

for example if one of the tooth (on the teeth big claw) is larger than the other and can be easily seen that is one way.

the color is if the purple of their claws is ether darker or lighter. also if you can see the legs they can also be different.

the size of the claw is also different and also what learned from (from a website that i don't know where i got it.) a website that if you measure the crabs big claw you can compare what size of the shell the crab would like, but just to be sure keep getting different shells because i'm sure they would like to explore their crabitat with different sizes.

and after they molted (completly finshed molting to the point that you can carry them or look at them) identify them so you won't lose who they are.

4. Aguardian4mypets

Aguardian4mypets (Micro Crab)

:think: I will have to check that out when they can come out and play :sheep2:

5. shelbers91

shelbers91 "Preparing For First Molt"

Oh ok whew! Just wanted to be sure it happened to others cuz I don't want to be the only be to loose track of hermie names. If I got more theyd all be little though so I know who my main 3 are for sure

6. Klabelle

Klabelle "Second Molt In Progress"

I know my crabs by personality, size, and color. Mainly personality though. I had 7 but I'm down to 5 now and plan to get more.

7. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

color and personalities is how I can tell 2 of them, crabby paddy is dark and rich brown and beefier/ bulkier and is the bully. plus he is the biggest crab, shell lee is long, long, long, legged slender and orane/tan color, used to be laid back, but has become some what of a bully now since I have discovered that he is a male and I have a female and it's mating season? Slater that must be the girl, is smaller than those two but still bigger than other two, then there is the molter that just came up today I haven't named him, he is small and I have one more, I'm not sure he has made it, he has been down for 2 months now or more. I can tell mine apart.. you get to know them

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Well, I'm going out on a limb here, hopefully NOT to hang myself because of ignorance. :BangHead:

In captivity the mating cycles are not as much of a priority as they are in the wild.
    In order to hatch from the egg there must be the ocean with it's controlled salinity, and a particular temperature and vegetation in the water for the eggs to attach to, and the proper amount of aeration from the currents for the eggs to grow after the female deposits her eggs at the water's edge and the waves pull them out to the ocean.

I have only heard of one successful breeding and hatching of the small fry, but if memory serves me, they died soon after. She has tried and tried to make the conditions exactly as they need them, but it seems that nothing but the real thing (ocean) works.

Sooo, I'm not so sure that they are being rascally bullies because of the "scent" of the female. Perhaps it may be that they need a tweak in their diet. :dontknow:

Another thing too, I've never come across anything that would lead me to believe that Females are larger, OR, that Males are larger.
    It seems in the trials that some have conducted that the males will first take a look at a female that is near or the same as his size.
    If for some reason she doesn't strike his fancy, he will then chose another, this time even a smaller to a much smaller female.

If anyone knows of more accurate info, please, share it with us, and if you know that what I've said is "way off base" then by all means correct me. :smack:

Land hermit Crabs are truly fascinating creatures.

......and by the way, when you do a search for info on your Crabbe's, make sure you say LAND hermit crabs so the info doesn't get confused with MARINE (salt water) hermit crabs. :flower:

9. Klabelle

Jelly, I know someone who's crabs mated, laid eggs, the eggs hatched but she didn't have the money or the tank room to let them get past that so she had to (unfortunately) have her husband dispose of them while she was out on a business trip.

10. Mckenny

Wow!! I never heard of that before. I hope she documented it because it is so rare. Thanks for sharing. :flower:

11. Klabelle

12. Mckenny

:eek:mg: I'm speechless!! What Beautiful pictures. I've looked at them 4 times now---WOW!!
    I'm soo glad you posted these---and I'm glad I said something (albeit I was wrong), but if I hadn't said anything, I would never have known.
    WOW-------I gotta go back and take another look! :spunky:

13. Klabelle

lol I've learned a lot from the person who has posted those. She was selling stuff she feeds them from Alaska to fund the new tank setup in case her crabs mate again. I learned they also eat moose poop lmao She probably has about 30 or so crabs so far and is always rescuing more so I like to look at her pictures and learn new setups and such. She always does a beautiful job capturing pics of the crabs.

14. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I wasn't saying or describing the crabs as to say that the male ot female was larger or smaller than the other, just how I can tell them apart and by personalities. when i look crabs up I always put land hermit crabs, I know there are dif types of crabs out there. I'm going off so many articals I have read, peoples suggestions and you tube vids of crabs mating. I am going to get more shells after I get paid here in a few days, if that don't work then I will wait til after July and reintroduce the crab back into the tank and see if it was mating issue. I don't see how it can be food, they get all sorts of foods, and if they choose not to eat it then there is nothing I can do. they have cuttle bone at all times and calci sand at times, oak leaves at all times, dried foods from here that they don't eat, fresh foods, they are just not meat & fish eaters, they will eat eggs & popcorn, nuts.. i did run out of worm castings but when I had some they didn't mess with it much, and they have organic peanut butter

15. Mckenny

Hey ScoobDoo :vinkko:
    No worries...I absolutey wasn't attacking you by what I posted. :hug2:
    It just doesn't come out in the right "tone of voice" in a post sometimes.
    Lot's of time I interject little tidbits for the newbies in a post so they'll know.

As far as me identifying mine, I use to think I was a bad crabby momma because with the shell shopping and the molts, it got to the point where I had no clue on most of them.
    If I could figure out a way to tatoo them...... :think: :hilarious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.