1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Strawberry

Discussion in 'Say Cheese' started by Matt, Dec 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt

Matt Guest

Is this actually a strawberry crab? It's completly white!

Here

2. I can't tell for sure, but I remember reading that straws are all white when they are young, so it's certainly a possibility... That's an amazing picture, I love how it's got a red border

3. Shadow

Shadow Guest

Funny you should post that, I saw the same thing not 5 minutes ago while searching for some pics of the more exotic species.

It's too hard to tell, but like fp said, young perlatus can be white.

4. Matt

Matt Guest

I think he's a cutie.

Maybe thats why its almost impossible to find a small strawberry, because they dont gather the little, colourless ones from beaches.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

Check the back leg to that of a rug. I've seen some white rugs. I didn't check the pic that long, if that's a perlatus thats trippy!

6. Matt

Matt Guest

i think you're right. It has the sword shaped leg like E's and Rugs, so I am going to have to get a 5th opinion. ;)

7. I've seen white rugs too, I have an almost white one (light tan) but they don't have the red "outline" and their antenna aren't that red either. Plus, look at the eyes. Those aren't rug eyes. I'm sticking with straw, but who knows... ???

8. Matt

Matt Guest

Perhaps some further research in the colouration of peraltus crabs in the younger years. It is very possible that they arent red untill they get bigger and older.

9. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

It's a juvenile straw, for certain.

There used to be a whole other "species" -- Coenobita carnescens, that they figured out were juvenile perlatus. They look so different when they're young.

10. so, I really want juvie straws! Not only are they gorgeous as adults, they are so cute when they are young! J_C, when do they start getting their color? at about what age/size?

11. Kali_Ma

Kali_Ma (Small Crab)

I don't know enough about it to say, and diet also plays a part. Both Vicki and Robin have young ones, smallish medium crabs, that have red and white striping, which is the intermediate stage between the white and the red. Very handsome crabs, and very distinctive. They both found theirs at Petcos, so check the regular crab tank at your local one when they get new shipments, because the average Petco drone hasn't a clue that those little white & red crabs are the $11 perlatus.

12. yeah, someone on the "other" site just posted pictures of small straw, it's mostly white and has a little more red than the pictured you posted earlier...

13. Matt

Matt Guest

I want a straw in general, nevermind a juvy straw!

14. do you not have them avalible? Where are you from?

15. Matt

Matt Guest

I live in Calgary, AB. There are no petstores in Canada except for one in Vancouver and they cost like 30 dollars a peice because they have to ship them across the border.

16. wow, that's a bummer. And I guess it's not very legal to drive down here and pick some up and take them back with you...

17. Matt

Matt Guest

Like I told Vicki, stuck them in your pants, if they ask, tell them you have crabs - big red crabs.

18. jasso

jasso Guest

Oh, that had me crying....
    :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :toothy12: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2: :sad2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.