1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

White Fuzzy Mold

Discussion in 'Emergency Care - 911.' started by Guest, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

tonight i found white fuzzy mold on coconut fiber substrate. crab#1 finished a molt today & crab#2 was fine this a.m. then was found naked and lethargic this p.m. the husband freaked and threw out all the substrate. my questions are... (a)is naked crab dying?(b)any ideas for temporary substrate til pet shop opens?(c) did the mold cause the molt and/or demise of crab#1 & crab#2?(d)why is crab#1 staying upside down?

2. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

If you have any substrate left, you might try baking it at about 250 F for 30-40 min. This should kill any remaining mold, and you can remoisten & use until you get new sub. Also suggest thorough cleaning of tank and boiling all dishes and shells. I have just discovered the same thing in several (empty, thank God!) iso's in the past day or two. I love summer, but...mold and right now, flies in tank are a real problem. Since you can't exactly make a tank airtight, how do you keep these little buggers out?
    Sorry I don't have the answers to the rest of your questions, but I certainly wish your fellers well.
    hermom

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thank you hermom for replying...no more replies are necessary both crabs died yesterday.

4. Jason

Jason Moderator

Please accept my condolences for your loss.

Jason

5. hermom

hermom "Never Molted"

Deepest regrets at your loss. It sounds like you did everything possible.
    hermom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.