1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where to get a crab (or 2 or 3 :)

Discussion in 'The Welcome Rock' started by wwalker, Nov 3, 2006.

1. wwalker

wwalker Guest

I did quite a bit of reading and have a good idea of what I need to get.

My almost 7 year old has asked for a hermit crab as his first pet.
    I expect to do a lot of the care since they have some complex requiremnts
    and he's only 7.  I've had a salt water reef tank with soft and hard coral
    and fish and crustaceans, so this should be a cake walk in comparison
    (though I know I've got lots to learn).

I live in Austin, TX.  So far the only pet store I've seen with hermit
    crabs had 1 crab, and he was big enough (bigger than a golf ball, but
    not tennis ball :) I think he'd just scare my son.  Anyway, I'd like him to
    have a few to choose from.

Also, I've gathered that the concensus is the more the merrier, but for his
    (and my) first hermit setup (probabaly in a 10 gallon tank with say 3 gallons of
    sand) what's a good number/size of crabs?  What size is least likely to molt
    soon?  most likely to survive?

Wayne

2. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

Hello and Welcome!

Good to know that you are doing some research... your crabbies will thank you (if they could :))

As far as how many... I think it is best to stick with 3-4 MICROS and 2-3 smalls or 2 mediums.  As far as the molting goes... they molt when they want to, but as general rule the smaller ones molt more often.

I'm not sure where to tell you to get the hermies, I would suppose that the store that had one may get more in, just ask.  I know it's important to me to try to buy them from someone that takes care of them and tries to provide what they need.

I'm sure that you have been looking around.... check out some of the care threads and you will be off to a good start.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you need too.... We are all here to help you!

3. vckums

vckums Moderator

Hi and welcome!

There's a few members here who live in Texas and will hopefully point you to a great store.

A 10g is a good start. I wouldn't get more then 3-4. There's a few things you need for sure. The checklist and care sheet has all the info on there.-----------------------------------------------------------

We also do contests and they have prizes, so you can win food and tank items.

Oh and we also will demand to see pics LOL since we are all addicted

4. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

Hello & welcome to the wonderful world of crabby people!

It is hard to find hermies in some areas of the country.  Do you have any of the following stores that regularly carry hermits?

Petco
    PetsMart
    Earthbound Traders
    Pet Supermarket

It is too late in the season to ship hermits to most parts of the country.  I am fortunate & live in Florida, so the crabs are both plentiful & can safely ship from one part of the state to another.

5. wwalker

wwalker Guest

Thank you all for the feedback!

I figured PetCo and PetSmart wouldn't have anything.  I kind of avoid
    them.  But we have both here, so I'll be taking the boy on a shopping
    extravaganza :)

So, what species are heartiest?  For his first crabs I'm worried most about
    survival.

Also, many folks referred to a checklist and to the caresheets.  I see the
    caresheets (good reading!) but can't find the checklist...

Wayne

6. crabcrazy

crabcrazy Guest

Welcome!!
    I would say the equidorians are the most active and outgoing.  My Petsmart only carries purple pinchers though.  I'm no sure about Petco.  The closest one to me is like 4 or 5 hours away. 
    I'm not sure about the checklist

7. CrabbyChris22

CrabbyChris22 Hi, I'm New Here!

Petco carries just about all the species; Ruggies, Es, Straws (though not recommended for beggining crabbers), Purple Pinchers and Indonesians (a little more rare).  Today I found an Indo at a Petco but unfortunately he was dead.

Another good place to find hermies sometimes are aquarium shops.  For a long time I couldn't find any Es here in Maryland until I went by an aquarium store and that's pretty much all they had there.  The first time I bought 12 at one pop (that was an expensive trip at $7 each).

For a ten gallon tank you should stick with micros and tiny's and maybe smalls.  That gives them a lot of room to run around plus then you can also keep the sand level down and that allows more height for second levels.  The sand depth needs to be at least twice the height of the biggest crab you have but that can be limited to 1/2 the tank or maybe just a corner.

Welcome wwalker to the Addiction and good for you to do the research BEFORE you get the crabs.  I didn't do it before hand but did research the day we brought the first one home so the stress I put on that crab was minimal because I went out the next day and corrected everything I'd done wrong right off the bat.  It's so much better to get the right stuff first and set up the tank before you get the little guys.

Good luck and don't hesitate to continue with questions if you need help.

8. Charis

Charis Guest

Hi !  :troll:

9. Jedi_sena

Jedi_sena Guest

Glad to have you aboard.  With your petkeeping experience, you'll do great!  I personally do not have a more-the-merrier philosophy.  I have a 10 gallon and have had up to 4 crabs in it at one time, but it is sooooo much easier to provide better care for 2.  This last molt, they both went underground on opposite sides of the tank and I was thrilled not to isolate them and setup nursery tanks. 

Also, purple pinchers are the hardiest and tolerate fluctuations in tank conditions better than other species do, so they are great for beginners.