1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does the poop go?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by crabby mom, Mar 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crabby mom

crabby mom Hi, I'm New Here!

May be a silly question, but where does the poop go? I have had two hermies for over a year and have never seen any "waste." Is it that small and how often, if ever, should the tank be cleaned and the substrate replaced?

2. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

The crabs poop in their shells and clean it out with their little back legs. If you are using an Eco Earth substrate you won't notice the poop. it's the same color as the EE or coconut husk. If you have sand, it's the little chunks, almost shaped like tubes, of brown stuff that ends up all over the tank. It should be spot cleaned daily as much as you can get it, but if you have EE, you don't have to worry about it as the EE helps to break down the poop.
    I had a crab empty his poop into a larger shell I had in the tank just for hiding in.. I took it out and shook it and out came sand and a bunch of brown bits! lol. Sometimes they poop in the food dish too. :) Some like to go and poop in the moss pit. It's everywhere! hahaha

As for how often to deep clean and replace substrate, every 6 months is maximum. Some like to do it every 3 months. If you have an aragonite sand substrate, you can wash and re-use it for several years. Other substrates should be thrown out and replaced I believe. I've not heard of another you can wash and re-use.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2009
  3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Here's a picture of one. Its size depends on the size of your hermies.

Depending on your substrate depends on if you see it. In EccoEarth, you rarely see it.

Changing the substrate - I don't take it all out. Just a good portion of it. Some people do what is called a deep clean once every 6 months. Sometimes you can go longer. It depends on several things - like food dumped or how bad they trash the tank.

Attached Files:

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I dont go that long with deep cleans- 4 months is usually max and if you have gone a year well then your over due ---
    I have a whole slew of pics - I am a poopologist to many LOL
    Here is bluberry poop
    [​IMG]
    here is Guava and carrot- choya
    [​IMG]

5. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Hahahaha....I love it! That is just too cool :D
    Those of us who have the forest bedding, etc. don't get to see too much of it. I have seen some shell-shaking going on, and that's funny to watch. :D

Oh, by the way, for some who didn't know, the hermit crab will kind of raise up and forward with their shell so they can clean it out. When I first saw it I'm like "what in the world is wrong with my crab"?!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  6. Crabmier

Crabmier (Micro Crab)

Ha Ha, Mckenny, Hermez, you guys are too funny!:D My hermies have a habit of pooping in the water bowls. I use EE, but can say I have seen my share of crabby poop!

7. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

Mine like to go in the water dishes and empty their shells in the water which gets washed down the drain. I hardly ever see poop on the sand but mostly in the salt water dish.

8. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I've always got poop in my water dishes lol! I love those pics Hermez, thanks for sharing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.