1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where can I get Hemp Nets?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by OneOnion, May 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

^ Title explains it.

2. Melissa H.

Melissa H. Hi, I'm New Here!

I'm not sure, but it would be easy to knot one together with twine, that you can get at any craft or hardware store of cheap! :D

3. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

If you click on this www.hermitcrabaddictionstore.com, it will take you to Vckums' store where Hermiefun makes hemp nets for Vicki. They are very nice and very well made.

4. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Yes. I would go with the hermit crab addiction store. They have them at some other internet sites I think. Maybe the crabbage patch.
    Good Luck.

5. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

I would suggest hemp over twine, as hemp is naturally resistant to mold and will last much longer than twine. I'm not sure but wonder if twine is treated with anything, so would want to make sure of that before using it.
    Get natural hemp if you decide to make your own, and yeah Vickums has some nice ones at the HCA store. :)
    I got my hemp at Walmart in the craft section. Stay away from the colored hemp, there are binders used to make the color stay that can be dangerous for crabs. I have some natural hemp nets in my tank that I made, I love em!

6. OneOnion

Oh, so you either order it already in net form at one of those websites or buy the hemp at Walmart or something and make it yourself, huh.

7. clover

clover "Preparing For Second Molt"

making one would be intresting! :)

8. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

Yep you can crochet one, or knit one. If you know someone who can do either of those things (if you can't) then maybe you can bribe them into making one for you. :)
    You can also use one of those Nifty Knitters from Walmart, they work great!

This one I used a round nifty knitter to make, and it was the larger size hemp twine. It was hard to do on the round one, and I didn't go all the way around, I suggest getting the straight one.
    [​IMG]
    This one I crocheted, then boiled in ocean salt water to soften it.
    [​IMG]

These are my first two attempts. The one on top was my first, the bottom one my second with a smaller gauge of hemp twine. I like the thicker ones better, the crabs seem to be more stable on them. All personal preference of course.
    [​IMG]

If you do use the hemp twine, do make sure and at least wash the net in some hot ocean (dechlor) water, as the nets can get slimy when wet if they don't get that first washing. After that, they are great.

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  9. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

Awesome job, crabbyjo! I just noticed I say awesome too much online and cool too much out loud! What's a Nifty Knitter? Sorry if I asked that before. Vicky's store is awesome! Hopefully my parents will let me buy stuff from it!

10. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

A nifty knitter is a little plastic contraption you can get in the craft section at walmart or other department stores and it helps you knit things without having to know how to knit. Kind of like the little potholder making kids some of us used to get as kids, or kits for making hook rugs and what not.

11. clover

ok crabbyjo i just have to say your first attempt made me laugh a little because it got reall narrow! no offensse! :)

12. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

lol I know Clover, I was trying to make it narrow so it could go up to the soap dish I have for a second level. I really don't like the way it looks though, and I really only knew the basic stitches for crocheting, so was trying to play it by ear! I sure made it look messy, didn't I lol.

13. clover

well it looks better than my crocheting! you can also order from the hermit crab addiction store i ordered a long time ago like last year and i just haven put them upsince there is no room in my tank

14. crabbyjo

crabbyjo Suspended Crab

It's worth it to give it a try even if it looks bad, because your crabs won't care how they look, only if they can use them to get from one place to another. :)

15. Laughs O Lot

I'm probably going to buy a hemp net from Vicki's store and make one during the summer.

16. OneOnion

I have another question to ask, but I dont want to make too many threads so I'll just ask it here on my old one.

When you're holding hermit crabs on your hand and they're walking on your hand, will they just walk off your hand without knowing and fall off, or is their eyesight better than that? I'm going to start handling them soon because I had them for a few weeks now.

17. clover

they have poor sight and cant see down

18. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

Really?

I didn't know that, thanks!

:)

19. Laughs O Lot

I agree with clover. But, when mine are on the edge of my hand, most of the time they cling to it and try to walk upside down on it, the crazy climbers they are. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.