1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where can i get different hermit crabs

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by JAG, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessafall

Jessafall "Preparing For First Molt"

it was me who offered to ship ya E's. I am actually working on making the screen lids for my tanks so i don't have my iso set up. hopefully i'll have it set up in a week or two then i'll be able to start getting hermies! I would never ship them without knowing when you would be home!

2. UkuleleHill

UkuleleHill Hi, I'm New Here!

Where in Dayton are you getting your Es?

3. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

problem solved, i was driving home and i saw a small pet shop that i never noticed i went in and they had indos, straws and E's. all in great conditions!!!!!!

i got a straw!

4. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Awesome, really? You sure they were indos? That is AWESOME! Grats on the new Straw! Post pics and whats his name?:D

5. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Really? What state do you live in? I still haven't had any luck. :confused:

6. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

im in georgia, ill post pics soon and i havent named it yet

7. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

any advice on taking care of the straw?

8. MoribundMaverick

Eff... stupid Texas... I want an E!! :mad:
    Uhhm, I heard straws need 80/80... but that's about all. I don't ever really pay attention to straw stuff because I know I'd probably never get one... I don't trust myself enough because I travel so much and I've heard that straws are VERY fragile.
    Crabbytalk.com - Hermit Crab Care, food/diet, crabitats, & pictures of land hermit crabs Brevimanus (Indo)
    There's a website about a bunch of different species. It goes over the basics for straws and a few others.

9. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

2 things:
    Not just any 80/80, but constant 80/80:D

And deep salt water bowls to fully submerge, yet have a way to climb out.

10. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

i got the deep saltwater and the himidity has benn at 80 all night along with the temp. it burried itself directly after getting it so i cant take pictures, i hope its just de-stressing and nothing is wrong or its molting (i want to see my new straw lol)

11. strawberryskittle

strawberryskittle (Small Crab)

Back to the shipping thing (sorry, been wanting to post, but was on my way to work)

I think, disregarding the cost to ship, we should possibly consider ordering crabs from special hermit crab vendors might actually be BETTER than pet shops.

Couple of reasons:

- You will almost ALWAYS see those sellers put up specific conditions under which they will/will not sell
    - They specialize in this, where as many pet stores don't. Hermit crabs are just another animal. Like fish. And birds, and mice and rats and hamsters and iguanas. They often won't have good conditions. And THEY are shipping it too, and I can imagine most will be shipping them 100s at a time in tanks way too small, to put them in tanks in just as bad condition. Just another animal.
    - Specialized sellers online likely know how to take care of the animals they have specialized in selling. I know, for example, crabbage patch (or the hermit crab patch) actually only ships newly molted crabs. That's a huge deal! you're not going to get that kind of consideration from any old chain store.
    - Most online shipments are done on "super" overnight express goodness. They are packed carefully, WITH substrate, moistened, and sure they might get bumped around a bit, but its better than 100 crabs in one mesh tank, which was the conditions mine were in at the pet store.
    -If your hermie dies, you take it to the pet store, they see it, give you another, and throw that one out. It's just another animal to them. Specialized vendors, they pack with care, and they try their best to get it to you alive, because if you tell them, its dead, they have to do that all again, and ship again, and they will usually foot that bill, and its a hefty one. They've got a lot invested.

I think I would actually consider ordering from a well respected place, if I were to get more... unless I see a pet store with good conditions and happy crabbies...

*gets off her soapbox*

12. MoribundMaverick

That's a good point! Also, a lot of the specialized places are mom and pop type businesses... they NEED our business to survive! Whereas mass chains like Petsmart and Petco could care less if we were buying their hermit crabs or not- they can always sell them to the little six year old girl that likes the "pretty" painted shells.

13. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

I just went to hermitcrabvendor.com. I sure like their variety, but no way can I pay almost $50 shipping. :-(

I understand why they ship like that, but I can't imagine they sell a whole lot of crabs that way.

14. Jessafall

yeah i had gone on hermitcrabvendor too and as soon as i saw the $50 shipping, i was like, heck no! I'd rather take 2 days off from work and take a 7hr drive to virginia to get straws, i used to live there so i know the petco's have straws!

15. MoribundMaverick

It's $50!? You've GOT to be kidding me... I just went there and tried to "check out" to see if there was some other way... but it wanted my credit number first...not doing that.

16. Jessafall

yep $50, i was shocked and so were my parents when i told them, there is a place on the site where you can estimate the shipping and when i found out. i almost spit out the soda i was drinking, i couldn't believe it! i would have cost me aprox $68 bucks to get 2 straws. haha no way!

17. YouveGotCrabs

YouveGotCrabs (Micro Crab)

Yeah, there is a shipping cost estimator. Next Day Air is expensive as all get out but still, I was expecting something in the neighborhood of $25, maybe even $30 for something as small and light as a crab. I guess with a live animal there are probably additional handling costs. Ouch! I wanted a viola, but it would cost about $75 with shipping. :-( I really cannot imagine that they sell any crabs that way, especially the PPs, who would pay that much for something you can get for $5 at the beach or Petco/Petsmart, when you can't even check it out for yourself before you buy?

There is a Petco near my parents' house that carries PPs and sometimes straws, I might ask them if they can special-order me a couple violas.

18. strawberryskittle

If they foot the bill for any DOAs........

19. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

My pecto only sells pp's the use to sell straws ....Don't know what happened?

20. strawberryskittle

Probably couldn't keep them alive long enough to sell. And then the amount of people who came back with dead straws because THEY didn't either probably just made it not worth it....

Just my theory... a bit cynical.... but...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.