1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where can i get different hermit crabs

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by JAG, Jul 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

hey, all the store in my area onl sell pp's and i really want some e crabs. are there websites that i can buy them from

2. Chase

Chase "First Molt In Progress"

Do not ever order Hermit Crabs off the internet.

And E's are very hard to take care of, I suggest you wait a while before purchasing them.

3. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

What Chase said is right unless your going to pick that hermit crab up. Do not receive hermit crabs in the mail. If you do your getting dead hermies.

4. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

yeah i didnt think it was a good idea

5. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

I've noticed that bigger-city petshops and nicer pet stores are more likely to carry different hermit crab species.

I used to commute to Dayton (about 45 mins) to get my E's. The store was nicer than most, and the tanks were actually legit tanks. Good humidity, good temps, hideys, climbeys, everything.

But I do agree with the others.. I wouldn't advise purchasing them from the internet

6. Roach

Roach "Preparing For First Molt"

I would never order a crab over the net basically because the cost of shipping them is outrageous. I know the crabbagepatch has shipped plenty of hardy crabs though.

7. Chase

Regardless.

Hermit Crabs will die if shipped, as a lack of Humidity, Substrate, and stress.

It is un-humane, and cruel.

8. Roach

How do you think they get them all over the world?? They ship them, so we have all bought a shipped hermit crab. No its not a ideal situation for them or any kind of animal, but unless you got yours wild it was shipped.

9. Chase

Obviously, which is exactly what I was saying.

"Regardless.

Hermit Crabs will die if shipped, as a lack of Humidity, Substrate, and stress.

It is un-humane, and cruel.
    "

;)

10. Roach

I was not trying to argue or undermind you. I was just stating what I have read here. I know some of the most experienced crabbers on here who have recieved and or shipped them. Hermez website evens give proper shipping directions. Again Chase I am just pointing out the info on the site.

11. MoribundMaverick

MoribundMaverick (Small Crab)

Shipping hermit crabs isn't an ABSOLUTE no-no... just check out where you're getting them from. I've heard crabbagepatch and hermitcrabvendor do a good job.
    And meg... do you live in Texas? Because there is a Dayton here, and I've been trying to find E's...

12. Chase

I apologize for my behavior towards you.

I guess I was a little groggy!

:eek:

13. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

Actually Mav, I live in Ohio :)

I guess I should have mentioned that.

14. Roach

Oh no Chase you were fine. I just wated to make sure I wasnt coming across as edgy or anything. It takes a lot to get to me so no worries. Sometimes I can be a bit edgy and just didnt want you to think I was coming at you.

15. MoribundMaverick

DARN, I want some E's!! :(
    I should have guessed, and I did figure, cause I saw that you go to school in Ohio. But I was hoping that maybe you were from Texas originally. :p

16. Jessafall

Jessafall "Preparing For First Molt"

I am going to order a couple of crabs off of hermitcrabvendor, i've heard they are somewhat good at shipping crabs. there is always a chance of receiving a dead crab. some die and some live during shipping.
    maverick, I will be setting up my iso in a week or so, I have a couple of stores in my area that sell E's. what i could do is get E's for you. ofcourse you would paypal or mail money/check for purchase(around $5. and S&H. (I don't think it cost's alot cause the post office goes by ounce and crabbies don't weigh that much! hehe) to me so i could get them for you. I know the right way to ship them but first i would give them a bath and put them in iso for a week or so i would make sure they didn't have any mites or sickness then I could ship them to you.

I am always willing to help out other crabbers!

17. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

i was looking at that site, i dont think shipping crabs would be too bad if its done correctly. i see that they dont sell E crabs, i would like a ruggie but people tell me they are hard to take care of. what about straw's?

18. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

Straws need 80%humidity and 80*temp mostly at all times and *must* be able to fully submerge in salt water. Same with Ruggies. So I think they're about the same level. But the problem I was thinking of was the shipping of them. It would take a few days for them to get there(I think?) and by then they might be too stressed already? Has anyone else here bought Ruggies or Straws from that site

19. JAG

JAG "Never Molted"

the site says when ordering crabs you must use that superman overnight shipping and they only sell them when weather conditions are good, so it might not be that bad.the temp. and humidity in my tank is perfect for straws and ruggies but i need a deeper water dish, aslo i have heard they can be really big. would this be a problem for my pp's. i have heard that the more exotic types of crabs like coco fiber more than sand is that true

20. MoribundMaverick

Yes you have to use overnight shipping, and at that, it's "superman," or something. More expensive than your average shipping thing. Also, to whoever offered to ship the crabs to me, (sorry I forgot your name,) I will be leaving to go out of town on Thursday and I won't be back for a bit, so I won't be there to recieve any crabbies that may come. I may be interested when I get back, though.
    And I would think if you really felt like you needed that cocofiber substrate that you could just mix it. I know a lot of people that do that already with their PP's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.