1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

when to move to ISO

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by Boots Mom, Aug 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boots Mom

Boots Mom Hi, I'm New Here!

I purchased a new crab on Sunday and by Sunday night he had dug under. I have looked under the to check on him and it looks like a lump of crab laying next to his shell so I am assuming he molted because I notice no "death" smell. My question is when should I move him to ISO? I have four out of my six crabs dug under right now and I caught one of the others starting to dig right next to what I hope is the molted crab. I don't want anything to happen to him if he is definitely alive and molting. Can you tell I am unsure.....this is my first molt so I am not sure what to expect except for what I have read. Thanks for any advice.

2. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

Well if it makes you feel any better, I never ISO my molting crabs. I always let my crabs molt in the main tank and have not had any problems. I feel you stress the crab out more by moving him to ISO, then back if you aren't sure if he is molting, etc. I think you should leave him where he is, especially if you see a pile of legs (the exo) underneath the substrate. This is a critical time in his molt and you should avoid disturbing him. I have had several crabs dig down immediately after coming home and molt within a weeks time-so maybe he was just waiting for you to come along and purchase him-so at least he'd have proper conditions for molting [​IMG]

I do, however, ISO sick/naked or new crabs [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.