1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When to do a deep cleaning of tank???

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Mr. Krabs, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs "Never Molted"

Hi all.  I've had my tank set up now for a good six months.  In that time all of my crabs have gone through successful molts.  Lately all of them have been out and about and I wonder if I should do a substrate chance and cleaning even though the tank still seems clean.  The thing is that I worry I'll get into a pattern in the near future where I don't know if one or more crabs is molting, and I won't want to disturn anyone.  With five crabs in there there is a good chance that there will almost always be one who is molting.  Just wondering what you all typically do.  Thanks.

2. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

It is time for a change. I personally wait untill after all have molted. The scent they leave behind after molting will stay in the tank untill you clean it.

3. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs "Never Molted"

Thanks for the help.  I should be able to get to it this weekend as I don't believe any of them are currently molting.  I'll watch during the evening this week and try to confirm.  This will be good as I want to up the depth of the substrate while I am at it.

4. scoobdoo

scoobdoo "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I tried to clean the tank after a molt, by just digging some of the sand out. Trixie is right, the smell stays if you don't get all that exo out and where they have molted, that smells stays and it makes your tank reek! You crab tank really shouldn't have a bad smell, or a snasty smell, eco earth has a earthy smell, sand when you first put it in has a smell when it's wet but it goes away. make sure you keep some old sand / e.e that doesn't smell to mix in with your new so you don't do this shock thing.

5. Mr. Krabs

Mr. Krabs "Never Molted"

I have sand on one side of the tank and EE on the other.  The tank still doesn't smell bad at all, just earthy.  It has never really smelled bad.  However now is probably the time for me to clean.  I'll definitely up the depth of my substrate while I am at it.

6. timebandit

timebandit (Large Crab)

We cant smell it but they can and it will drive them nuts.

7. imported_Donna M

imported_Donna M (Micro Crab)

I swear I could visit these forums daily, and learn something new every day!  I've never heard about odors in the tank from molting.  How do you guys know where the molting crab is hiding?? (so you know what area to clean out)

8. scoobdoo

the one that molted came up  and when i found his pocket it stunk so bad, it smelled like something died!

9. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Unfortunately most of the time you won't know where the molting crab is.  It really comes down to noticing if a crab is exhibiting certain symptoms that are out of the ordinary.  They can spend a lot of time in the salt water dish as well as the food dish.  Sometimes they sit somewhat listless or even dig down for a day or so then reappear for one last chow down and drink and soak.

Soaking in the salt water allows their exoskeleton to swell and break apart more easily so their new exo has room to grow.
    I need a personal secretary or a 24 hour camera focused on my tank to see who's down and who's up and who's getting ready to go down and who just changed shells and.......... :eeeek:  :chuckle:

I change my substrate every 6 months and there are some others that do a deep clean every 4 or 5 months, but I never go longer than 6 months to do a complete tank change.    :flower:

10. CrabAddict

CrabAddict Moderator

I clean everything out 3 times a year. I have my iso ready when I'm expecting molters. I'd take the opportunity to clean your tank since none are under.

11. scoobdoo

so far this year I have deeeeep cleaned 2 times, not by my choice. :scream: about 6 months apart if even that :BangHead: