1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats YOUR story???

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by veltish, Dec 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veltish

veltish Guest

Well, im still pretty new here... and still dont know that much abotu everyone..but im getting there!.. i thoguht it would be mayeb neat for everyone to share thier stories about how they got stated crabbing and mayeb how long you've been doing it, where you got your first crab...etc...

I guess ill just get it going with my story...
    well, when i was about 9 yrs old i had two hermit crabs. i had no resources then, and from what i know now... i wish i could go back into the past and slap myself in the face. but i was young, and pretty much innocent.. so i forgive myself. ive only just started crabbing on nov. 9th( i think) WOW.. i just made myself realize that i havent even been doing this for a month yet! it seems alot longer then that..and im already addicted!!
    anywho.. i work at walmart...so im always there..im one of those..whaddya call it..."walmart junkies".. :shuffle: haha. well, id been seeing those "crab in a cup" things for a long time. and dispising them cmpletely..so i would always tell myself..dont buy one..your just going to be supporting them... but one night i just HAD to buy one....but of course i couldnt just buy one.. so i bought two( billie and polo). i started out and decided i needed some more information on them(in which, i found this site). i realized i was doing it all wrong.. and the whole point of buying them was to give them the best life i could..so i did what i had to and now i have 5 crabs and planning to get many more in the future. i still have many more hurdles to jump..

my story isnt really an interesting one..but its how i started, and im glad i did!! Now evryone tell yours!

2. Crabaddict

Crabaddict Guest

3. hermiesrokmysox

hermiesrokmysox (Large Crab)

I think your sotry is interesting!

Here's mine:
    I started crabbing when I was 10 or 11....so I have been crabbing for almost 2 years!!! It's pretty cool! It doesn't feel that long, really!
    Before I had crabbies, I had always wanted a guinea pig! I was really obsessed with them. I started doing to ns of research on them and I learned quite a lot. But my mom said I couldn't have one, even though I had saved up all my money to pay for everything.
    So one day at the pet store I see the hermit crabs, waaaaay in the back in a box tank. I was like, "What are these?" And so that night I did a quick google-ing on the puter and decided I wanted some hermit crabs.
    My dad said I could and my mom said yes too and I was soooo happy (I think they let me have hermit crabs so I wouldn't bug them about guinea pigs anymore, lol).
    So I got 2 hermit crabs, Hollywood and Little Red as an early birthday present! I started with a small (less than 5 gal) plastic critter keeper, some calci-sand, a shell for water and food, and two extra shells for the crabs. that's it. I am serious! They had NOTHING to climb on or hid in, NOTHING (well, they did have some comercial food which, I found out later had EQ in it. :shuffle:)
    I have to say, when I look back, I was a terrible crabby owner!! :thumbdown: But I have learned a lot since then! My crabbies have a nice 20 gal tank to live in with tons or plants and wood and cocohuts and nutting and all that stuff!! :lilafjerilt:

4. veltish

veltish Guest

Neat stories!!! thanks for the link crabaddict!! im getting a 20 gal. L for and x-mas present to the crabs..alon with tons of stuff to go in it... its funny i think everyone starts with a 10 .. then upgrades to a 20 gal. L in no time(once they realise its only JUST enough room to START getting creative)

5. Joey Oh

Joey Oh Guest

It is neat how everyone gets started!

My son recieved 2 Hermies from my mom, he named them Big Bob and Little Bob. As soon as he got them, I was instantly attached and started researching. I had never used a forum before so it took me a while to try one. We started with a small KK and then moved to a 10 gallon... added a few more babies and then upgraded to a 20L added a few more and then went to a 75 gallon and haven't added a new one yet :cheesygrin:

Of course. along the way I lost a few... sad sad times... everytime that happens I get so frustrated and want to throw in the towel. The time that I was the cause of one of them to die was the worst... I was ready to adopt them out, but I found some great forums and some great people who make Crabbing even more worth it! Currently I have only 9 extremely precious babies that I wouldn't trade for the world!

I could go on forever with my story, the good the bad and the so funny... but I'm sure this will do!

6. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Having the empty nest syndrome starting I began to gather animals. 1 dog- then 1 more dog then I said hey I havent had hermit crabs in awhile and went out and bought what I thought was a really cool reptile keeper *rolls eyes* then we went to vacation at VA beach and I bought 2--one died 4 days later and Shelbert is still with me. Then I did not want Shelbert to be alone and I went to the Jersey shore just to get a crab cause I thought pet stores did not carry them :chuckle: so just in case I bought 2 more- Golden and Dottie--Golden is still with me. basically I have added 1 or more crabs a month since I started, I have done 4 adoptions (with one or more crabs) with another one in 2 weeks. Well you know the rest. I love the madness~!!!!! :troll:

7. Sialea

Sialea Guest

I got started crabbing when a girl I work with brought 4 of them to work as class pets. She had them in a KK with some blue sand, some netting and shell dishes. I fell in love and became addicted. I found this website and with the information I got here, have had most of my crabs for over a year now. I have a bad tendency to find and bring home the beaten up ones and they are so stressed out they die. But at least they are loved .
    I also have mice, 2 dogs (both with their own stories) and a cat with her own story.
    Do husbands count as adoptions?

8. *Kathy*

*Kathy* Guest

9. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Whelp we baby sit them dont we so I say it counts :chuckle:

10. Sialea

Sialea Guest

LOLOL! Truth sister! I only wish I got paid more for the job!

11. veltish

veltish Guest

Thanks for the lin to your website kathy. i realy enjoyed reading around on it. very neat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.