1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats your Biggest Tank size???

Discussion in 'You Are In: POLL Parade - Just! Poll's.' started by HermitPaws, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

Just wonder How Big A Crabber will go

2. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I've reached my limit at 120 gallons (actually my limit was 75 gallons but I got a tank and THEN found out it was not 75 gallons, it was 120 gallons! I'm pretty happy with myself for that mistake.:) I love my 120 gallon tank.:D

3. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I have a 10 gallon right now:eek: not that big. But the next things I want to get is a 20 gallon and a jumbo hermit crab. My largest hermit crab right now is just a low-medium size.

4. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

Mine is a custom 90gal. I started off with a rubbermaid storage container and over time it molted a bunch a times, hehe

5. Laughs O Lot

Laughs O Lot (JUMBO CRAB)

I got a 20 gallon but it's not set up yet.

6. Livada

Livada (Micro Crab)

I also just have a 10 gallon. I would love to upgrade sometime, though!

7. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

U know i actully don't use huminity or temp since i have a tub and all my crabby pattys (my dad calls them ~he also calls him creppy creature or creappy crawlers) are ok

8. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

It one of thouse plastic tubs. I confuse people of bath tubs LOL

9. OneOnion

Do you at least have gauges? In what state do you live?

10. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

CoolDoggy10 Wouldn't you rather have them in a Real tat'???

11. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

Look I think it way cheaper having a plastic tub from tub away than having a tank which cost some money.The hermit crab love it and I dont need any temp or gauges. mI live in South Carolina Im gonna post a pic on my album of my tank pretty soon

12. cococrisp

Well. You still need gauges. You still need to monitor the temp and humidity. SOme of the bad things about tubs is that you can't see it. If you want to keep the humidity in you have to close the lid and then worry about ventilation and you can't put a heating pad on because it wll amek toxic ffumes when It burns the plastic etc. Just my opinion:confused:.

13. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

what tat are you trying tu say tank? And no I'm happy with my tub and I am not saying my bath tub LOL

14. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

And it a clear tub it not those big blue ones and a small but not too small clear tub

15. OneOnion

Cooldoggy, I don't know the temperature and humidity in South Carolina, but to me it is imperative to have humidity/temp gauges wherever I live, especially since you have a plastic tub as a tank to keep them in. Plastic tubs do not hold humidity and temp well(I know this from experience). Now, I'm not forcing you to buy anything, it's your choice and for your crabs' well being. This forum was made for us to help each other, and that's what we're doing, right? If you want healthy hermit crabs, you should listen to people who have healthy hermit crabs. Remember, it's your choice what you do or buy, I'm not forcing you to do anything.

EDIT-------
    I saw your crabitat pics, and need to ask you some questions...
    1. Do you use commercial crab food?
    2. Does it have a lid to keep humidity in?
    3. How humid is it in your house, what's the average temperature?

Also, I've noticed that you use gravel. Gravel is not diggable. Un-diggable substrate stops the hermit crab from being able to molt safely underground, causing severe stress, dropping of limbs, and can make them surface molt. Surface molts will end badly if you do not immediately isolate the crab.
    Things that I would suggest you buy:
    1.Humidity gauge,
    2.Temperature gauge
    3.PLAY Sand(not calci-sand) 2x the height of your largest crab
    4.Natural food for your hermit crabs(you can find that in your refridgerator probably)

And lastly, If a lid doesn't fit on your current plastic bin you are using, I would suggest a 10 gallon tank(Or if you do not want to buy a 10gallon tank, a larger storage bin.

16. cococrisp

Ok. A ten gallon tank is a good idea. You can buy one on craigslist for $5. Second, Eco Earth is a good substrate. It's natural coconut fiber. Third, Painted shells are not the best choice for hermies. The paint chips of and they will eat it and die. You should have 3 natural shell choices for each crabs. FOurth, humidity and temperature gauges are a must. You need to make sure the humidity is 75%-80%. THe temp should be 75*F-80*F.
    You hsould read this sticky:
    http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/forum...t-care/3913-i-just-bought-new-crabs-what.html
    Everyone read it when they were starting; it's a must read. It will tell you EVERYTHING! Also, this might be helpful:
    http://www.hermitcrabsrus.com/index.php?page=checklist
    IT's a checklist of everything you will need.
    Good Luck!

17. CoolDoggy10

CoolDoggy10 (Large Crab)

I am going to buy sand today and I don't have any lids. Taking care of hermies is not like rocket science

18. OneOnion

Well, it isn't rocket science, but it's not a walk in the park either. They'll die within months or weeks if you put 6 of them in a small storage container with no lid, no humidity/temp. gauges, shallow water bowls, and commercial food. Be sure not to get calci-sand. I am sorry if I am being harsh, but me and coco tried multiple times nicely.

P.S. make sure the lid has some holes in it. :0

19. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Cooldoggy10 here is the thing- you are given good advice the right advice I might add. If you choose not to do the right thing by the pets its animal abuse in the end. Noone can tell you what to do but I dont want anymore discussion that your way is the right way - the entire forum is dedicated to doing RIGHT by the crabs. I live in NC and I certainly have to regulate my tanks..........

I will ask that we go back to the original purpose to this thread and not fuel this discussion any longer- THANKS

20. cococrisp

Hmm... I wish we knew who had voted what.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.