Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Crabbers, Jul 18, 2008.
They use safe paint so whats wrong with them?
From what I've read the paint is non-toxic but the sealant that they put over the paint is the same that they use on cars. It chips off and they can then ingest it which isn't good. They also start looking really scruffy when it comes on. I don't know about dyed shells though.
The paint inhibts the natural breathablility of the shell. It flakes off and is thought to be dangerous if eaten- a human can rid themselves of toxins- crabs cant- they eat and it goes to their exo- they shed the exo and eat it again- build up of bad toxoins makes bad molts and can lead to death :sad5:
Oh, I've never seen it chip off....
I have never seen one not chip off..........
It does. I have an E whose painted shell has started to chip. I hope that he changes shells soon so that I can try to get all the paint off.
Separate names with a comma.