1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's wrong with my hermit crab?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by Hermes, Dec 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Hi, I'm New Here!

We've had this hermit crab for over 6 months now, when we first got them there were 3, 2 have since "died" off in the same fashion as is happening to this 3rd one:( It buries itself like it's going to molt, then a few weeks later sheds it's shell and won't go into another. I end up finding them naked beside the aquarium glass, not moving. Is this what they usually do when they are unhealthy and dying or is there something else going on?Thank you.:D

2. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

can you give a description of your crabitat enviornment? temp/humidity/size/toys/food/water types/ etc? It would be easier to try and figure it out if we knew those factors. from my experience, they only abandon their sea shells when something is drastically wrong or they;ve had a nasty shell fight. Sorry to hear about your crabbies :(

3. landhermie

landhermie "Never Molted"

How often do you do a deep clean?
    Is your sand wet when you buy it?
    What species is it?
    What store did you get it from?

4. Hermes

Hermes Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: What's wrong with my hermit crab? More info

It's in a 10 galleon aquarium filled with compressed substrate that I soak before adding it to the habitat and I spray once to twice a day, a bowl for food, a cave, a rock, some shells, and a krabitat watering dish. It's room temperature, not exactly sure the humidity level, and the water is tap water that we've put purifier specifically for hermit crabs. We've been feeding them shrimp pellets, and a piece of fruit or vegetable daily.
    I dont know what kind of species they are:confused: I believe it was a PetSmart that I had gotten them from. We've done a deep clean 3 times since we bought them 6 months ago.

5. vckums

vckums Moderator

A few things you need are a temperature gauge and humidity gauge. Those are definately something you need to get. That could be why the others didn't make it, won't know until you get them and see what the readings are.
    Another thing you need is salt water. Not table salt, aquarium salt. Petsmart will have it in the fish section.
    I haven't heard of shrimp pellets, but they do need more of a variety. They will not eat the same thing every day. You must rotate out foods every 4 days. If you feed shrimp on Monday you can't feed it again til Friday. Picky little buggers! I run an ebay store for hermit crabs, link is in my sig if you want to buy pre-packaged organic goodies.
    Does the aquarium have a lid? Are you using a heat source?
    Do you have a picture of the tank we could see?

6. nancy

nancy "Preparing For Second Molt"

I would suggest that you look at the website for the Epicurean Hermit. I have gotten a lot of information for diet and ideas for making my own dishes up for my guys. I feed them more table food than anything else and they seem "knock on wood" to be thriving on my menus. Check it out with someone I consider very much the expert, Julia Crab. Also check out VCKums on line store. Her prices are inexpensive and its obvious that she has put much work into her food line. Good luck with your crabs and God Bless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.