1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's up with these pet stores?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by hot ball, Feb 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hot ball

hot ball "Never Molted"

I was at the mall with my family. I was in one store with my daughter, my hubby with my son. They meet up with me and my husband has this big smile on his face, and is carrying a small box. Sure enough inside is another hermit crab. He was so proud of himself. (He is now starting to get into this addicting hermit crab obsession I have been developing). Anyway, the box was gross, and I thought it smelled a little like dead fish. I asked him and my son if the hermit crab had moved at all, did they see him? They both said (obviously not knowing better) no, we liked the shell. UGH!!! Then my son adds there was a big crab there with no shell at all mommy, it was gross!!. So I said, lets go to this pet store.

Horrified I was. There was about 25 or so crabs, all sizes. Many in there own shell and that shell jammed into another shell (have no idea why they do that??) Anyway the tank smelled horrible. No humidity gauge, no temp gauge nothing! just a big spot lamp (the kind you would see at a construction site, the metal lights that clamp onto something) on top of the wire top. There under the light was a HUGE hermie, lying there, dead no shell. Just lying there! These crabs had one water dish, one little log, many were trying to win access to and one food dish. the sand was only a dusting deep.

Anyway, I coudl not put this little guy I had in my smelly box back just incase he was still alive. So we brought him (or her, Sunshiine is the name) home. I immediatly put Sunshine in a salt water bath. After a long time (I thought for sure she was dead) she came out flipped over and then started running all over. I have her in her own tank now in fear she coudl be sick, considering the conditions she came from. She already emptied one food dish I had in there and the fresh water dish too (hungry little bugger). She looked thrilled, climbing, running all over. She has slept most of the day. LEts jsut hope that she is OK and I can add her to her new family in a few weeks.

About two weeks, right I shoudl wait? So what is the story with these pet stores? What happend to that poor crab with no shell? Any thoughts???

2. msmarvell

msmarvell (Micro Crab)

thats so sad. I wonder if the hummane soceity can do anything about the aweful conditions I keep on hearing about or Animal Cops.

Luckily the PetCo by my house always has good conditions. I will keep my fingers crossed for little sunshine.

3. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

I practice keeping a new hermie ISO'd for a good month. This is not only to make sure they are not sick or have parasistes, but as you mentioned, Sunshine came from such horrible conditions that you want to slowly bring conditions right for her (temperature/humidity) and let her little body adjust over time. I guess though you would know your hermie better than anyone so see how she is doing in a couple of weeks time. Good luck with Sunshine.

We have a major store here in Toronto called PetSmart. None of the pet stores here have sold hermies, but I just saw this weekend that they are starting. One store had a nice little set up with food/water dishes, plants, all sorts of stuff while the other had really nothing in comparison. :( All the crabs were hiding under a piece of cardboard in the tank that was turned up. I found it interesting that the "nice" set up was selling them for $11.99, while the "other" set up was selling for $7.49. I'm planning on writing them and trying to educate them better. They take such amazing care of their fish and reptiles, maybe they just don't have the knowledge yet. I can understand the reason why they do not put substrate deep enough for them to bury ... they would never sell a crab ... not that I like or agree with it, but the other conditions should be kept up. Hopefully 'lil old me can make a little bit of difference.

4. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

Yeah, when I worked with Earthbound, the hermit crabs I was in charge of weren't necessiarily in a tank, but they were in a four-walled plexiglass box with a lot of sand and no top. The store stayed at about 75 degrees, so there was no worry about keeping them warm. We didn't keep the sand wet, but we did mist it every day, sometimes more than once, if there were a lot of crabs in the tank... (we normally had 50 or so). I've seen injustice to hermit crabs with the chicken wire boxes and the like out in shops close to the ocean. It's horrible. I didn't know much about the little guys then, and when I worked at Earthbound, but I learned enough to know to switch up their food from time to time (I brought stuff from home), and to give them baths in treated water, and to let them drink only treated water..... even I wouldn't drink that city's water, so I KNOW the crabs shouldn't. But I know how it is to try and sell a hermit crab to someone and not know everything there is to know about them... it used to make me second guess if what I said was right to the customers. But I will say one thing, I used the best of my knowledge to my ability and I took the best care of those hermit crabs that I could with what I knew.

We got our crabs from FMR and sold them for $2.99 (small/medium) and $14.99 (Jumbo)..
    The sad thing about that is, my crabs are hooked on FMR food. They won't eat anything but, so I have to go out and buy them FMR brand every time.... Luckily, I now work in the city with the only petstore around that sells it.

5. tengo cangrejos ermitaños

tengo cangrejos ermitaños (Small Crab)

That's so sad that those poor crabs have to live in such horrid conditions. Between shops like that, and those shoreline shops that keep them in wire chicken boxes, I just shake my head and sigh. :/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.