1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whats the best thing to do for the heat?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by kissmeimgone, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

I have a problem..I wanna buy a heat mat for my crabitat..its an aquarium and i think under 10 gallons but Im probably upgrading to either a 10 or 20 gallon tank and I need a heater and Im going to invest in a thermometer and hygrometer...but Ive looked at some and theyre all pretty expensive..any suggestions?

2. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

I got a thermometer/hygrometer together at Walmart for 6 or 7 dollars. When I calibrated it, it was only 1 degree off! It is white and takes batteries, and I got it where the outdoor thermometers are sold.

3. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

I posted awhile ago about Pet Discounters. They still have all their Under Tank Heaters on sale. They have 3 or 4 sizes, and the sale price for the large (18"), is only $25.95! Even with shipping, I'd still be saving at least $10-$15 over buying it locally here in Maryland. They have other crabbie stuff on sale, too. (on the home page, go to Hermit Crab Supplies, then choose the first category: "Sale Hermit Crab Supplies").

Here's a link to the UTH's. Hope it's okay to post. The brand name is Repti Therm:

Sale Hermit Crab Supplies: Under Tank Heaters by ZooMed at PETdiscounters.com

But I gotta tell you, from all the posts I've read on this site, the majority of crabbers don't seem impressed with UTH's. They don't put out much heat. But, there are some people that like them. You can do a search on this site, read up on the subject, then make your decision.

4. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I like over head lighting. I use 2 clamp lamps and let them shine through the lid. Right now I use a foam insulation board and rest the lights on a metal curtain rod but I am getting a plexi glass lid soon (it is on order) and will just clamp it to the sides like I did on my 10 gallon tank. You can see my tank in the crabitat section and I think I have my lid in the pictures with the lights resting on the curtain rod. I cut a hole about the size of a CD, just make it smaller than the lamp you are using so it doesn't fall through the hole.

5. drk_paramour

drk_paramour "Never Molted"

I've found some great deals on ebay, thats where I've gotten all my tank heaters and thermometer/hygrometers for my tanks. I use side mounted zoo med/reptitherm under tank heaters.

6. Donna M

Donna M "First Molt, A Success"

In reference to moon glo bulbs or red bulbs, do they throw off enough heat to be the only heat source in a 20" long x 14" high tank at night? What wattage should I get?

thanks

Donna M

7. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

I use the red bulb all night in a 75 watt and it seems great with heat. I use a day glo bulb in a 60 watt and it does the job too. The red seems to throw off more heat than the moon glo bulb so I like it better but it does take some getting use to having a red room when the room is dark. I always wonder what my neighbors think seeing our living room glow red all night as they drive by.

8. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

HaHaHaHa! Chermo that's too funny. :D

9. kissmeimgone

kissmeimgone (Micro Crab)

maybe they think ur room is under alien invasion or...attack of the hermie crabs! ^.^ lol
    anyways, i recently got a dual hygro/thermometer reader at petsmart for like $10.99 and come to find out..my tank has had the right humidity and temperature all along -.- lol anyways, thanks guys for all the help
    i appreciate it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.