1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's pps

Discussion in 'Frequently Asked Questions' started by cocothecrab, Aug 28, 2010.

?

whats pps

1. y

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. n

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

what is pps?

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

why is there a poll? PPS is post purchase syndrome.

3. n00b

n00b "Preparing For First Molt"

Post purchase syndrome. It's a broad term used to describe stress or death of hermit crabs within the first 6 weeks(?) of having them. It's usually caused by a dramatic change in habitat conditions. (Like moving from a pet store with dry calci sand and very low humidity, to a crabitat with moist EE and 80% humidity)

4. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

oh! thanks :thanks:
    sorry about the poll, dont know how to use it right yet....

5. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Oh! That's PERFECTLY alright! We all know that you are new here, and we will all, (as a community) try to make sure you feel comfortable, and fit in, and answer any questions you may have about proper hermit crab care, etc;. :flower:

6. Mckenny

Mckenny "PM Jason For Custom Title"

Just to add to what the other's have said, here's something I posted awhile back.

~ ISOlate Your Newbies ~

I just wanted to remind everyone, especially those that may not know, of the importance of ISOlating your crabs when you get them.

Whether you buy them or adopt them, save yourself possible heart break and ISOlate your crabs. You never know if they have mites or some other thing wrong with them, and if put immediately into your tank, they could infest your crabs as well.

They also need time to de stress From PPS (Post Purchase Syndrome).
    The little hermies are captured, often times forced into painted shells, shipped long distances from other countries, shipped from the warehouse to the store, and then sold to you to bring home to your tank. All the while they have no food or water, are too cold or too hot, and are stressed beyond belief.
    It's a wonder any of them survive.

Please...go to the home page and click on CRAB CARE, then click ~~ I got crabs now what do I do?~~ by Hermez It tells you what you need to do.

Make sure you set up your ISO tank up with the necessities---proper heat and humidity, salt and fresh water, hiding places, lighting, .and of course substrate (it doesn't have to be as deep as your main tank)

I know how we want to put them in the main tank right away, but, using caution from the beginning ensures a healthy and happy crabby colony.

7. cocothecrab

cocothecrab (Small Crab)

but what's the difference between the ISO tank and your own tank? how does that keep the crabbies from stressing out?

8. Hermies4Ever

Hermies4Ever Guest

Your main tank is for your crabs, in general. Your ISO (Isolation) tank is for new crabs. You put new crabs, or molting crabs in the ISO (Isolation) tank, to keep them apart from the others, and kind of isolate them, and keep them safe. :yes2:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.