1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what's going on with my little guy?

Discussion in 'Molting.' started by jtswife, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtswife

jtswife "First Molt, A Success"

Hello to everyone,
    I have noticed hermit crab doesn't dig or bury itself in the sand or the FB. He or she just sits on the top. I've been watching it and it seems to be sitting there most of the time and than goes in it's shell "not all the way in" for awhile, like it's going to rest. The eyes seem to look normal and it's antennas seem to move around here and there. Is it molting? I also have coco huts, it will sometimes go in there but not to bury like the others.:confused:

2. courtastic

courtastic Hi, I'm New Here!

is the bedding deep enough for them to go completely under?
    i think mine don't like the sand... they only dig in the coconut fiber or go in the crab houses

3. jtswife

on one side of the tank I have FB and the other side is calci sand. I would say about 3 inches deep. My others love going under the huts on the FB side and they bury themselves during the day. The one in question doesn't dig, just sits there all day, moves around sometimes during the day and night. He likes to sit on the empty shells on the sand side.:cool: Kinda like he is hiding out trying to blend with empty shells. Last night my daughter noticed on of our small crabs was sitting on Hermie, "the one in question". She woke me up cause she thought Hermie was being attacked:confused: She took the little one off of Hermie and the little one went away. We just notice Hermie isn't acting like the five others:confused:

4. Shiya

Shiya "Never Molted"

So, he's just not burying, no other weird signs? Don't worry about it, then. Not all crabs bury themselves. In fact, a majority of mine just climb around on the surface, and their digging is minimal.

5. jtswife

I took some pictures of him and the crabitat. Now all I have to do is figure how to get them on here for you all to see. I must admit, he is friendly

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  6. msdiamonddawg

msdiamonddawg "Third Molt In Progress"

My crabs don't bury either. I wouldn't worry about it. Some are a lot less active than others. They all have their own personalities.

Also, with the crabs on top of each other, they do that too. Sometimes mine are in a corner sitting on top of one another. Unless you actually see them attacking each other, I would say there is nothing to worry about.

7. ZanZan

ZanZan (Micro Crab)

don't worry, thats totally normal. He feels safe enough to destress himself on ground, thats good =) few of mine are the same way.

8. jtswife

9. courtastic

courtastic Hi, I'm New Here!

oh i like how you did your net across like a hammock... i just have mine hanging down the side

10. jtswife

i got the idea from looking at the pics of the generous hermit crab lovers on this site.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.