1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by bluconspiracy, Jun 11, 2008.

1. bluconspiracy

bluconspiracy "Never Molted"

- ok I am  new to hermit crabs, I haven't even actually got them yet, I am  just in the process of getting my tank and all that I need together. I should have every thing I ordered online by next week. Anyway, my dilemea *sp* is where to actually get them. We live in a small army town and the local pet stores are a little iffy. The best one doesn't even have the set up right  and the second one I  went to the 4 that were alive looked on thier last legs. The pet store is about to close down and thier were flies everywhere every animal in there was not in the right enviroment. I went to petsmary today that is about an hour away and they to where not in the right conditions, as far as humidity and temp.  The lady said they get new hermit crabs every tuesday and should come back then to getr the "fresh" ones. I don't know if I should buy from petsmart or the other local pet store * the one that is not closing* or just buy them online from crabbage patch as I had seen mentioned  on this board. What do you think my best option would be. I just dont want to buy them from sub par condtions and  they just die. Or will they recover ? HELP !

2. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

I went from crabs store a plenty to NOTHING!!!!!!!!! Just nasty petsmarts. I mean you can go on Tues and get the least stressed crabs- I have plenty years later from petsmart still today.
    The crabbage patch prices are outrageous she was never that expensive before--dont know what that is about but she ships them beautifully I will say that  :dontknow:

3. bluconspiracy

bluconspiracy "Never Molted"

Thanks for responding, after learnging so much from tis board and another and internet sites I just want to make sure I am getting the best possible crabs but no one seems to keep them the right way. I mean its just really confusing after learning more about hermit crabs. I know when i first thought about getting them, i just thought u get a tank fill it with sand and a cute house and that was that. SO now I want to make sure I am getting some that will last . So does the lady at crabbage patch keep them in the correct conditons ???I  thought they were expensive as well, but i was like well if that is the only choice I have I guess I ahve to pay... I think Ill see what the crabs look like on a tuesday * which I still think is crazy, since they should have them RESH all the time  but whatever* But thanks for letting me know that the crabbage patch ships them well , I was also conserned about that...

But the lady at petsmart was grilling me on how i was gonna set up my tank but thiers was no where near ideal with 20 % humidity. I wanted to say ookk lady I think Iknow more then you as you guys are slowly killing the crabs.. Even the crabs I saw at the icky pet store I was like dang should I just get them  to try to nurse hem back to health,, but I dont even have anything sey up yet as I am waiting on heaters ,  light etc to get here...But I understand now why people on the boards feel so bad about seeing te crabs in the conditions they do at pet stores...

aanyway im going on and on ,,lol thanks for the response  :)

4. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Some people can really make a difference with their local pet shops- I have not been sucessful unfortunately...........at far as TCB yes she loves the critters and takes care of them well- she is a great lady to talk to and to buy from but I have no idea why she is so expensive now.........

anywho keep plugging at the idiots at the stores-once you show them you know more than they do they kinda shut up- some even start to ask YOU questions---play it cool.  :hermez:

5. LilHermieOnes

LilHermieOnes "Third Molt, A Success"

I too was wondering why TCP went up on the prices of the hermies this year. I bought some hermies from her last year and was planning on buying some more this year, but they cost too much for me right now :( . Maybe we can go pick a few up in person this year...she is about 6 to 7 hours away from me, but we drive my daughter to the childrens hospital down south Florida quite often now, about 5 hours away from me, so it wouldn't be that much farther  :think: