1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what watt bulb for 90gallon tank

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by scottjan, Jun 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

What watt blue moonglo bulb u think i should use for a 90g tank. Also anybody ever use the blue daylight bulbs?

2. OneOnion

OneOnion "Preparing For Third Molt"

I think the rule is 1 wat per gallon? I don't know though; I've never used one of those before.

3. chermo

chermo "Second Molt In Progress"

With wattages, it all depends on the temp you keep your house. I would buy a bulb you think will work and if after about 2 or 3 days if the temp is not where you think it should be go bigger or smaller, you can return bulbs at the petstores, just ask them if you go to a mom and pop store. Petsmart lets me exchange them all the time.

4. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

I had no idea that Petsmart would let you return bulbs. Thats kinda cool.

5. chermo

I usually return them in 2 to 3 days, by then you know if it works for you or not. I have never had a problem. I just said it is either too hot in the tank or too cold in the tank and they say go get another wattage then. They exchange it without a problem.

6. cococrisp

cococrisp "PM Jason For Custom Title"

My room is pretty hot anyways and I usually have a heating pad on anyway but sometimes when I need to raise the temp or burn of some humidity I grab a spare hood and balance it somewhere on the tank.

7. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

I will prolly get a 65watt or around that to start with. I dont like the heat and keep my house pretty cool. I lived in houston for a few years and thought the weather there was going to do me in! So my house stays cool year round.

8. chermo

In the winter I keep my house at 68*, I have a 20L tank and I use a 75 watt night moon glo and a 60 watt day glo, the moon glo doesn't give off as much heat so it is a higher wattage but it still keeps the tank cooler at night then the day glo one does. I would just start with a 60 watt day and a 60 watt moon if you can find one. I wanted a 60 watt moon glo but petsmart goes from 40 watt moon to a 75 watt moon so I got the 75 since I have a 40 at home already and it makes the tank too cool.

9. cococrisp

I heard the black nes give off ore heat. There are also these things for reptiles that only give off heat and no light but it's more for one direct basking place.

10. chermo

In my experience with the moon glo the 75 watt keeps the tank around 75*, the 40 moon glo keeps the tank aroudn 70* but the 60 watt day glo keeps the tank around 80* so the difference is about 5* either way from the day glo I have. I have used the red 75 watt and it makes the tank jump to 85* or higher and since I was using that at night it made the tank hotter at night then the day time. That bulb finally went out and so I went back to the 75 watt moon glo which I like much better.

11. cococrisp

I don't like the red one too mch when it drys up the substrate. My heating pad also turns stuff to dust when I don't mist for a couple days. Then it's impossible to get wet again.

12. scottjan

scottjan "Never Molted"

Cool! Thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.