1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What type of Substrate?

Discussion in 'HCRU Crabitat's - Biography's Of Our Crabitats' started by ReganShaw, Oct 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReganShaw

ReganShaw "Preparing For First Molt"

We use Marine Sand in our 40b, and both ISO's and EE in our 20h. I think we are going to change the EE back to Marine Sand though. What does everyone else use?

Jenny

2. Love4HermitCrabs

Love4HermitCrabs (Micro Crab)

On the 20 Gal. side and the 5 Gal. hallway of my tank I use Play sand and so they have a place to dig if they want I have EE on the 10 Gal. side of my tank. The EE side is where I almost always find the pre-molters so when I find them I put them in iso to molt, works really well for me. [​IMG]
    Sandra [​IMG]

3. oimsofunny

oimsofunny Hi, I'm New Here!

I have EE in 1/4 of my tank and the rest of it is play sand. I also have a corner shelf that has some EE in it for them to hide in.

4. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Lets see on one side of all my tanks-vivs i use peatmoss mix with sand moistend and then on the other side i use beach/natural sand from out here and Seaflor Special Grade Reef sand all mixed and washed and baked then sifted clean. I try to keep the sand side as dry as much as i can but they love getting it wet at the water dishes.. LOL!! My ISOs some have peatmoss mix and others have Spagnum mix.

5. Love4HermitCrabs

Cuda, How do you keep the peat moss from molding? I got one of those Jungle Gyms from petdiscounters.com and within 2 or 3 days it was full of mold ( petdiscounter is so awesome that they refunded my money) so I am afraid to use moss of any kind as a substraite. I do offer them some to eat though and they love it.
    Sandra

6. CudaCrabby

[​IMG]Hmmm that is a very good Q Sandra, maybe because i have open tops on my tanks or could be that i mix it with sand befour i moisten it, when i get it its in a bag from "Schultz" The spagnum moss is the same way it looks like forest bedding and is super fluffy dirt looking stuff. I use 2 parts peatmoss or Spagnum moss to one part sand then lightly stir in warm water till its moist. Its not moss moss green like you maybe thinking this is dark brownish black stuff..As long as i keep the food off that side theres no mold and each time i remoisten it in the tanks i stir it up well so that it gets fresh air. I will get some pics of it and how i mix it up.. I wonder if i dont have mold probs due to my tops are more open [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Love4HermitCrabs

What is your humidity?? I have cats so an open tank is out of the question here, lol
    Sandra

8. CudaCrabby

[​IMG] We dont have to worry about cats but my humidity is always between 75 to 80% if ya have cats just use a locking screen lid. [​IMG]

9. ReganShaw

The Petco we went to yesterday used some type of moss, and the hermies seemed to love it. The guy that helped us said that they change the moss about once a week. I like the stuff, I'm going to have to look into it more.

10. crablover

crablover Hi, I'm New Here!

well i have EE in both of my tanks and i have some of this moss stuff that the hermies seem to love ive had it for aboout a month now i think its the moss that your talking about Regan cuz the petstores around here use it to but if i were you ide go to a garden center to get it cuz at my pet stores its like $5 bucks for a little bag of it but at the garden center its $2 bucks for a huge bag

11. ReganShaw

I'll have to look into that Crablover. All the crabs seemed to be hiding in it, so I guess they love the stuff.

12. Tammi\'scrabs

Tammi\'scrabs Hi, I'm New Here!

Sondra, what kind of tank do you have?? hallway, and different sides???
    P.S. what does viv stand for?
    Thanks, Tammi

13. SuperMom

SuperMom "First Molt In Progress"

<span class="ev_code_PURPLE">Ionly use EE now use to use marine sand but my little crabs seem to like EE better.</span> [​IMG]

14. Love4HermitCrabs

LOL sorry I will post a pic, a viv is a tank I just found that out a few days ago. Any way my tank is a 20 Gal. long laying on it's side with the opening up front and then a 5 Gal.45 degree angle hallway connecting to a 10 Gal. standing up with another door on it. My Hubby loves making crabitats. [​IMG] I tried to post a pic but it didn't work so you will have to click on my link and go to the new album and see it, OK?
    Sandra [​IMG]

15. mari61960

mari61960 "Never Molted"

I use play sand in all but 1/4 of the tanks are a mix of hermit crab soil and sand moistened with salt water. That's usually how I find my molters...they start digging in in the mix. [​IMG]

16. iluvhermies

iluvhermies Hi, I'm New Here!

I just use play sand. I still have a lot left...

17. hermielove

hermielove Hi, I'm New Here!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Any way my tank is a 20 Gal. long laying on it's side with the opening up front and then a 5 Gal.45 degree angle hallway connecting to a 10 Gal. standing up with another door on it. My Hubby loves making crabitats. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THIS IS AWESOME! [​IMG] I've been toying with the idea of doing a custom tank for some time now.. even have a few plans drawn out. But need to find a good spot first. I've got so much stuff crammed in here...lol

Oh.. I use EE and sand (fine grade) split 50/50 in all my tanks... damp salty sand in my molting iso's.. EE in reg. iso's.

Lucky

18. lucco

lucco Hi, I'm New Here!

I use marine sand i love it. and it is cheap

19. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

I use a mix of play sand and EE in my tanks. My crabs just love it [​IMG].

20. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I put down a layer of play sand, then on one half of the tank I put EE on top of the sand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.