1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What treats do you give your crabs that is not prepackaged?

Discussion in 'Foods, Treats & Home Recipes.' started by coloradocrabber, Dec 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coloradocrabber

coloradocrabber Hi, I'm New Here!

What treats, fruits, vegitables, nuts, ect. do U give your crabs? How are they cooked or are they raw?

2. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

I've given mine apples and cantaloupe, and the leafy greens that I feed my turtle, like romaine and kale. I gave them a bit of butternut squash at Thanksgiving, too.

3. coloradocrabber

Do uthink bananas are good?

4. thehermitshack

thehermitshack "Never Molted"

Mine love apples [​IMG]

5. kuplakrabs

kuplakrabs "Second Molt, A Success"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by coloradocrabber:
    Do uthink bananas are good? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bananas are indeed fine to feed to your crabs. As with all fruits and veges, if you have access to organic they would be even better [​IMG]

6. Ally

Ally (Micro Crab)

Oh yeah, I've given them bananas, too. Forgot about that.

7. coloradocrabber

Oh good! [​IMG] Me Too [​IMG] My crabs love Apples best [​IMG]

8. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

[​IMG]Mine are getting all types fruits and veggies, no citrus. Also they get Healthy Toppings mixed nuts & carrots an greens & coconut an rasberries, cann cat food-Fancy Feast- salmon, cod sole & shrimp, Ocean whitefish & tuna. Plus much more other than there regular dry food.. [​IMG]

9. Eric

Eric "First Molt, A Success"

Wow Cuda,

If I cam come back as something else in another lifetime I would pick a Hermit Crab in your Tank. Lol. GOOD EATS!

Cappa

10. CudaCrabby

CudaCrabby "Preparing For First Molt"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cappa:
    Wow Cuda,

If I cam come back as something else in another lifetime I would pick a Hermit Crab in your Tank. Lol. GOOD EATS!

Cappa <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    LOL!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] You are so funny Cappa, make sure to make out your goodie wish list and i will have it in stock for yaz.. LOL!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Gota make sure they get alittle of everything ya know.. [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. pblove

pblove (Micro Crab)

I have been giving them almost everyhting I eat ,that is not citrus or dairy.
    They love apple sauce, carrots, can cat/dog food, I wet the dry dog food, (all human grade, no chemcicals in it)that has really been a hit.
    Fig newtons, grahm crakers, crackers, sardines, mackeral,fish food flakes, (no additives in that either), crushed Special K, peanut butter, smashed peas, smashed corn, oak leaves, bannas, cantaloupe, oh, Watermellon is really a hit too!
    If it is n my house, they get it, except the dairy or citrus.

12. froggz37

froggz37 "First Molt, A Success"

I would have to say that Herbie loves grapes, and mostly the dark purple seedless ones. Monte on the other hand is all for the applesauce. Sherbert seems to like ground carrot, but I'm not sure what Agent Orange and the two tiny crabbies prefer, they are pretty shy and mostly come up at night.

13. BL00DYMARY

BL00DYMARY "First Molt, A Success"

I recently discovered my guys LOVE popcorn. I put a couple of pieces of plain popped popcorn in the crabitat and in the morning only the popped shell remained. I didn't even have to run it through the chopper, they tore it up.

14. Felicity Loves Animals

Felicity Loves Animals (Small Crab)

Thanks for all the recipes!!! I LOVE giving my hermit crabs treats!!!
    Thanks again!!!

15. osippi

osippi Hi, I'm New Here!

grapes, sunflower seeds, apples, shrimp, and those things..

16. Mindymouse1978

Mindymouse1978 Hi, I'm New Here!

My hermies eat everything under the sun EXCEPT DAIRY. Yes even citrus. Have been for over 7 years. I take off the peel, leaving as much white pithy stuff attatched as possible. They love the white pithy stuff more than the actual fruit. Hermies in the keys have been seen eating oranges that dropped to the ground and started to rot. It is part of their natural diet. Don't be so afraid of citrus. Mine love tangerines that are just slightly over ripe. Anyone else?

17. StawberryDreams

StawberryDreams Hi, I'm New Here!

A lot of those things have salt in them which is bad, and I have also found out from a dr.' who has been studying hermit crabs that citrus is ok. She has been giving it to her crabs for a year now. She says they don't eat the middle or the out side skin, they like the white stuff in between. If you like grapefruits, eat the middle and then give them the outer shell.

Plus I have heard that avacado is bad for them, but I can not remember why. Avacado is not good for a lot of animals.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.