1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to look for when buying a hermie

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by ninjasgorawr, Jul 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

It is nearing that time for me, that one time everybody goes through (at least once, maybe ten times)- buying a new hermie. I have a question- what do you look for when buying your next hermie? Help for me and other new folks in the future!

2. HermitPaws

HermitPaws "Fourth Molt, A Success"

1. Active crab ( good)
    2. Correct humitty and temp levels in tank
    3.Right subtrate and deep enough
    4. no missing limbs
    5. no moldy food
    6. lots of extra shells

this is what i look for...
    hope it helps

3. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Depending on the store you go to will determine if you see #'s 2,3, & 6

Most stores will use commercial food. You do want to make sure there is water for them.

Activity is the most important. Ask if you can take one out and let the shell sit in your hand (with palm straight). If the hermie come out of his shell and starts to walk around, you then can inspect his limbs.

4. Markie

Markie "Never Molted"

I usually look in there and know which one I want, and every time it's one of the more active hermits. Then I'll ask to hold them, so I can check them out and all. If it's nice and active, I'll take it. :]

I've never held a hermit crab and not bought it, actually. xD

5. ninjasgorawr

ninjasgorawr (Micro Crab)

Today I walked into Petco to buy a few goldfish for my new water garden and decided to check out the hermies and see if it's gotten any better (The Petco near us has a horrible hermit set-up). I actually found 3 crabs alive! (out of the 40 emtpy shells filled with dirt)(an improvement). One was in it's shell, obviously a PP because the big purple claw sticking out. Another was feeling around in it's empty water dish, kinda a light pink/ tan color (most likely a PP too). The last one had two arms sticking out, and it was greenish blue-ish (i'm guessing an Eccy). The fourth crab that I found was naked, on it's side, and not moving. I almost cried at the condition these crabs were in. No food, no water, and the substrate was about a half an inch high. I complained to the front desk with no luck, and when I looked at all the staff, they were teenagers, about 17-19 years old, with no care about the state of the animals.
    Just thought I'd let you all know.

6. MiyokoDosei

MiyokoDosei (Micro Crab)

awww, that's sooo sad! :( The petstore we have in town treats they're crabs really good. They're in this giant wooden box with glass windows on the sides, and they have sand for substrate, and several food and water dishes. I don't know if they mist them or now, and I know that they don't have any form of heat or humidity except for the fact that they keep the pet store fairly warm because they have a lot of reptiles. They do get lots of treats though!

7. XregretableloveX

XregretableloveX Hi, I'm New Here!

i just got one today and i picked a lot of them up and he just came out but right away i knew i wanted him even if he had half a claw missing.

8. Mommy2Crabs

Mommy2Crabs (Small Crab)

I don't think pet stores should be allowed to sell any animals without the proper information to give to the purchaser on how to care for the animal they have selected. I got my first hermie for my son at a local pet store. All I was told was to walk by the kritter carrier and mist the crab a couple of times a day. Was given substrate that was for lizards (the kind that was just shaved wood), given 1 water dish, and comercial hermit food. When I got home and got on the internet, I went into a panic! Why was I not told that these little creatures needed all this care?...Needless to say, I went back to the pet store, bought everything I needed (would have gone somewhere else, but had no options) for my crab AND bought the rest of the crabs that was left. I guess I thought that I would be saving them. Well, 2 weeks later, there were more in there. Wish I could save them All!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.