1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what to do?

Discussion in 'General questions about care.' started by victoria, Feb 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. victoria

victoria "Preparing For First Molt"

What do I use to make a hemp-net stick to the wall of the tank?Please please please tell me as soon as you can.

2. hermie 5

hermie 5 "Preparing For First Molt"

plastic suction cups work, well as long as your tank is dry. Some of mine have stuck in the same place as I put them and some work their way loose. 3M has a suction cup that has a locking end that you flip down with a hook that you can tie the hemp net to.

3. victoria

I have plastick sucksen-cups but they have metel on them.

4. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Agreed. I use suction cups. And yeah sometimes they come undone which is annoying but it's the only really safe way to hang things.

5. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

Try to find the ones with plastic hooks, don't use metal.

6. victoria

I have looked.

7. DaisyCrab

DaisyCrab (Small Crab)

They are hard to find. I lucked out and found some at Walmart at christmas time, for hanging lights in your window or what not.

I actually need more, I was thinking of checking Michaels. Have you tried craft stores?

8. victoria

can I use anything else?

9. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

If you have levels, you can tie it to that - if it has a place you can tie it too. But sticking to the side of the tank, you need suction cups. You can try a craft store or even a big hardware store. 3M also makes hooks that have adhesive on the back. Those might work, though I never tried them.

With the constant humidity, the metal may rust and you don't want that. For the time being, you can use what you have until you get the all plastic kind.

10. Hildegarde

Hildegarde "Preparing For Third Molt"

They're pretty easy to find-the ones that are plastic hooks. IMO, they're better than suction cups.

But if you do want the cups, WalMart has them in the bathroom section, with the shower caddies.

11. momofboyz

momofboyz (Micro Crab)

I just recently set my crabitat up, and I bought the hooks with the adhesive on the back. They work really well, but they have a serious draw back that you can't move them around. When you try to move them, the adhesive comes off the back and stays on the glass. It scrapes off the glass easily enough, but this could run into a lot of money if you change your tank alot. I'm also a little concerned that the crabs might be able to get to the adhesive. I don't think so, but it has given me pause since I put them in there. I'll probably be going to the suction type cups before long.

12. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

Im sick of the suction cups!!!!!! I drill holes in the lip of the tank and hangs things that way--it always stays.......I have to use suctions for some things but if I can hang it from the rim I do-----I use zip ties and they are so perfect

13. WizKidsMom

WizKidsMom "Preparing For Third Molt"

Drill holes? Won't you be afraid to crack the glass?

14. ItsMeg

ItsMeg "First Molt, A Success"

I use suction cups as well :D

Meg

15. HERMEZ

HERMEZ Moderator

not the glass ;) I said the lip-most tanks have that plastic black/oak lip that the glass lids lay in...........there is where you can drill the holes-:D

16. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I found my suction cups with plastic hooks in the home improvement section at WalMart....near the shower caddies. I also found some smaller ones at Dollar Zone on the wall with kitchen and bath gadgets. You have to make sure your suction cups are clean (sand/debris free) and moisten them slightly with dechlor. water for an optimal stick. I find that the larger ones are better for hanging nets.

17. Chuck_Norris

Chuck_Norris "Preparing For Second Molt"

If you're looking for suction cups that will always stick (and have plastic hooks), use the ones that Vicki suggested for me! After she told me about them, I ran right out to Target... they are in the bathroom (hardware, not the towels/shower curtains/linens) section and there they were! They "lock" so they don't fall down. I didn't even know they existed and now that I've found them, I'll never use regular suction cups again. My boyfriend still plays with the ones we don't use. He'll stick it to a table or the wall and be like, "Look, Randi... it's not going anywhere!" And I'm just like, "*sigh*... Yeah, babe, I know... I get it. They lock. It's great." :D Anyway, I just thought I'd pass along what a fellow crabber passed on to me!

And momofboyz - I used to LOVE those little 3M hooks... I swore by them... They didn't even fall when the humidity got high! But none of them were strong enough to hold my latest moss pit, and that's why I changed to the suction cups. I still have some of those hooks in my tank only because I can't get them off due to the adhesive back being on there too strongly. I pulled the little tab like you're supposed to, and it still didn't come off all the way. Anyhow, those 3M hooks are good for light things like hanging nets, but I by far prefer the locking suction cups.

18. victoria

it's ok everybody I found what I needed.

19. krackersmom2

krackersmom2 (Large Crab)

I need to try these locking suction cups....

20. LSHermies

LSHermies (Micro Crab)

take the metal out and thread through some hemp string to tie it on. That's what I did. I did find the suction cups with the plastic hooks at the dollar store yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.